First brew - a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eight

Reaction score
So I brewed some amber ale and put it in a 5 gallon container to ferment.
I did the newbie mistake of not re-hydrating the yeast, so it took around 40 hours for the fermentation to start.
It went on bubbling for a couple of days and then stopped. The temp in the room was bellow 50 so I moved it to an air conditioned room and it resumed bubbling for one more day and then stopped again.
Now, I don't have a hydrometer.
When should I bottle it?

So I brewed some amber ale and put it in a 5 gallon container to ferment.
I did the newbie mistake of not re-hydrating the yeast, so it took around 40 for the fermentation to start.
It went on bubbling for a couple of days and the stopped. The temp in the room was bellow 50 so I moved it to an air conditioned room and it resumed bubbling for one more day and then stopped again.
Now, I don't have a hydrometer.
When should I bottle it?

After you buy a hyrdrometer and get the same gravity a few days apart. ;)

Below 50F is WAY too cold for an ale yeast. Your yeast could have gone dormant and you don't want them waking back up in the bottles. I would try to get it to around 70F (or higher), swirl it around a little to get some yeast back into suspension, then let it sit for about a week or two. And I would highly advise getting a hydrometer. They're pretty cheap.

After you buy a hyrdrometer and get the same gravity a few days apart. ;)

I was going to say exactly that. There is no way to know when the beer is done fermenting other than measuring the amount of sugar left in it.

Back