First bottle bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuber

Reaction score
I bottled a black hefeweizen about three weeks ago and had my first bottle bomb this morning. One bomber blew and it took out another one next to it.

Should I just toss the entire batch? Most of them are in 12oz bottles, there are only two other bombers.

I just don't want shrapnel in my face or arms when I go to open one.

If they haven't blown yet, is there any risk in popping a cap off?

I don't think it was due to the beer still fermenting as I checked it three days apart and both times the gravity read 1.008.

I'm sure the issue is that this is the first time I ever used table sugar to prime instead of corn sugar. I used the same 5oz for 5 gallon batch that i usually use. I did it by volume and not by weight and i'm thinking that was my problem.

If I slowly open the bottle is there a good chance i'll still have drinkable beer?

Assuming you just overprimed the beer is fine. You'll probably get gushers out of the bottles that haven't blown yet so open them in a place where the mess will be contained.

Throw them in the fridge (or outside) to cool down since gasses dissolve better in cold liquids. If you sanitize everything before you open them you could put on new caps after things settle down. Then store everything in the fridge and drink them.
Review your bottling procedure to see if you did anything wrong. It could be you did everything right and just have a few stressed bottles.
Dextrose and Sucrose are pretty close to the same fermentability so that's probably not the case. Was you bottle conditioning spot warmer than your fermentation spot? The yeast might've gotten woken up and dropped a couple more points. 1oz/gallon is pretty average priming so I'm not sure I buy that explanation either.
Liquid ounces and dry ounces are different weights so using the right measuring device will make a difference.

Here's an handy unit converter http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/sugar_amounts.html

Back