First bottle after dry-hopping in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StophJS

Reaction score
Today I bottle the furious IPA clone from midwest, which requires a 3 oz dry hop. I had read all over the place that even pellet hops could simply be thrown into primary, and that they would settle out in a reasonable amount of time. I threw in my pellets at the 10 day mark, and let them sit for 8 days before coming back to bottle.

When I opened the lid today, there was still plenty of hops gunk sitting on top of the beer. I figured it would have settled out after 8 days, given that many people don't recommend dry hopping for more than a week, and some recommend even less time. The gunk on top was my first obstacle. Next came the massive amounts of loose trub on the bottom of the fermenter. I was only able to rack 4.25 gallons at best out of the 5 gallon batch, and only along with a hefty serving of trub and other floaties. I was so pissed about losing so much that I strained the rest of it out and drank it flat as I boiled my next batch. What I drank didn't taste particularly good but that might just be all the crap floating in it. Also looked identical to unfermented apple cider, so I'm all around hoping that what I got in the bottles will be a lot better after carb and fridge time.

In any case, this practice of just throwing pellets directly into primary seems like one big mess. I suppose if you plan on doing this you really do need some kind of strainer on the end of your siphon.

In any case, this practice of just throwing pellets directly into primary seems like one big mess. I suppose if you plan on doing this you really do need some kind of strainer on the end of your siphon.

I enclose pellet hops in a new Chux Superwipe(Starsan-ed) and chuck it in the FV. Mind you I use plastic FV and they have a very large opening.

Back