First boilover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgeary76

Reaction score
Just added 1oz hops to my wort, boiled over and now have 1-2 cups wort all over my stovetop. My question is how much will this affect my OG and overall taste of the beer?

at only one to two cups, probably not enough to worry about at all............cleaning up the stove on the other hand;)

The beer will be fine.

If you're married, you may NOT be fine unless you clean it up. And dried on burnt wort is worse than concrete. Use BarKeeper's friend, and work hard to get it all off. Hot water, the BK friend, elbow grease, and patience, will get it off without scratching. Unless you have a glass cooktop- then use what is recommended for it.

I may have lost more wort than I thought. Topped off with tap water to 4.5gal an checked gravity and was 1.048 and recipe for kit said 1.057-1.06?. Added a little more of the trubby wort at bottom of kettle to get some more sugar to the mix but didn't want to get too much of that gunk. Got the gravity up to 1.050. Still a bit short of 5gal though. Hopefully it will still turn out ok. It's a pumpkin spice porter that I'm gonna try and have finished for Xmas. Crossing my fingers!

I stirred it really well. I thought about adding some brown sugar or honey after the boil over but decided against it bc this is my 2nd batch ever and wasn't sure if it would mess thing up and wouldn't know how much to add either.

Back