First Boil Over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallsDamBrewery

Reaction score
I am brewing a Liberty Cream Ale from a Midwest Brewing Co. extract kit...and I was talking with my kids, then it happened....my first boil over.

I got it cleaned up in a hurry, but I was pissed to say the least...oh well...almost 50 gallons brewed and this was my first boil over!

Happy 4th of July!
:mug:

ya...it can be a pita. When i first switched to AG i used to do 5 gallon boils in a 7 gallon pot and it was a common occurrence...A spray bottle helps and a good hot break is good for clearing...

Try defoamer, 1 drop per gallon works awesome. I even use it in my keggle for 5 gallon batches to keep the hops in the beer. Inside on the stove you can do a rolling boil an inch from the top of the pot. Austin Homebrew has it it is called Five Star defoamer.

I worried about using it until I toured Yuengling brewery and saw the brewmaster put it right in the kettle, it keeps the hops in the beer so they can hit the proper consistency in bitterness.

Try defoamer, 1 drop per gallon works awesome. I even use it in my keggle for 5 gallon batches to keep the hops in the beer. Inside on the stove you can do a rolling boil an inch from the top of the pot. Austin Homebrew has it it is called Five Star defoamer.

I worried about using it until I toured Yuengling brewery and saw the brewmaster put it right in the kettle, it keeps the hops in the beer so they can hit the proper consistency in bitterness.

+1

I use FermCap in my kettle (even though it's meant for the fermenter), and I can really put the spurs to it! Even with 7g in a 15.5g kettle, I had boil-over issues...not anymore.

My first boil over was during my first brew. I didn't have a clue.

I just joined the boil over club. I do partial mash brews in a 5 gallon pot. 27 brews under my belt. The 28th was an imperial stout that was just plain evil. It wanted to boil over. Then in the bucket, I narrowly avoided a blown lid. Clogged airlock was probably less than and hour away from me joining the "Mopped my Ceiling" club.

over the course of 10 years or so of brewing extract I had a total of 2 or 3 boilovers using my little 3 gallon pot.

After switching to AG, I got cocky about having 5 gallons in a 15 gallon kettle and thinking there was no way I could boil over in that situation.

WRONG

Back