First Blowoff...with Nottingham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
In 70 or so batches, all varying in styles and OG's, I am currently having my first blow off on a 1.055 OG Pale Ale...with Nottingham yeast! I decided to give the yeast a shot after publically claiming I would never use it after the issues the company had been having. It has been a BEAST.

I used it first on a mild brown ale, fermented like crazy, then I washed it. Pitched 2 half-pint washed samples into a starter before pitching into an ordinary bitter, fermented even crazier. This is where it got interesting.

I wash the yeast cake from the bitter once to get 3 pints of samples for storage, then I collected the remaining slurry/deoxygenated water in the fermentor again and just saved that in my huge jar I use as the intermetiate step in the washing process.

After a night in the fridge I decanted the water from the jar and pitched the "leftovers" from my yeast washing, still at frige temps into the pale ale at 2 AM on sunday night/monday morning. I woke up for work at 8 AM monday, checked the fermentor and could see the noticable brown gunk in airlock.

Rigged a quick blowoff tube (that is now clogged) but when I checked this morning the foam/krausen had receeded ever so slightly.

I am a Nottingham convert!

I've had good results with Notty each time I've used it. I actually prefer it to US-05, which I think has more of a yeasty flavor to it.

I've had good results with Notty each time I've used it. I actually prefer it to US-05, which I think has more of a yeasty flavor to it.

I decided to try it because I had a few englist style beers lined up and wanted to build up a nice supply of it washed to suppliment my house strain I use for pretty much everything. I am very impressed and since I had the leftover cake from my last batch I decided to try it out on a pale ale i brewed to use up my overstock of cascades!

Back