First Blow Off!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serie171

Reaction score
So I brewed last night, a Irish Dry Stout, and this morning when checking to make sure everything is ok, well.... caboom. Have krausen all in my airlock and down my carboy. So, I put together a blow off tube system, no worries there.

My question is... do you lose anything when this happens? i.e. alcohol content, taste of the beer, etc?

PS. Rookie mistake... was using a 6 gal carboy for a 5 gal batch. I will be getting a 6.5 gal soon.

No it's fine. Everything is going out, and it's mostly yeast. You can use 1" tubing for a blow off on a 6.5 glass carboy. You should feel lucky, it could have been worse.

Yep. Had my first blow off 3 weeks ago while fermenting a weissbier. And it was literally, a "blow off" as the lid of my fermenting bin blew off when the airlock got jammed and now there's a krausen stain on my carpet. I'm lucky its an old carpet and I'm planning to replace it soon anyway =)

From now on I will only use my screw-top bins for beers and will leave my snap-lid bin for apfelwein and wines.

The tighter the lid or the better the seal, the bigger the explosion will be. It's coming out one way or another.

Mike - I assumed that it will just clear the blocked airlock if the lid is screwed on tight?

I have only had one beer ever need a blowoff tube. some of my friends need them all the time. sometimes I wonder if I am not having as good fermentation of my brew than other people are. so my question to this thread is why do some people always need blowoff tubes and some people like me hardly ever need them?

It will either clear the airlock or blow that ***** apart, glass or plastic. Yes if you pitch the correct amount of yeast you will get a fast start and vigorous fermentation. A good starter will make good beer great. Many, many,brewers have had to mop the ceiling after a blow-out. Do a search about blowouts and see what has has happened.

Thanks mike! Do you fit blowoff tubes by default for each fermentation?

Thanks guys... I should have said too, this is my 3rd brew. Just starting this awesome hobby!

Back