First BIAG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzelina

Reaction score
I did my First Brew in a bag, wheat beer with a yeast starter Belgian wit yeast liquid. OG was 1.080. Boiled off more that i thought. Added two gallons of water brought it to 1.062. Put in glass carboy and fermentation took off. Read enough to put a blow off hose on thankfully. Now the Krausen is stuck to the top of the carboy. There is also little bubbles on top of the beer. After two weeks gravity is 1.013. Should I be concerned about the Krausen and bubbles?

5.5# Pilsner 2 row malt
5# flaked wheat
.25 pound Munich malt
.5# rice hulls
1oz. orange zest
.4oz corriander
.3oz chamomile
1 tube white lad WLP 400 Belgian Wit yeast
1.4 oz Hallauter 4.10 percent 30 min
Protein rest 122 30 min mash 152 for 45 min mash out 168 boil 85 min

IMG_20140128_185911_167.jpg

My guess the crap on the top is from a vigorous ferment. Not a problem. Check FG in a day or two it's probably done but let it go another week to clean up a bit. Relax, have a cold one. :)

Your beer has CO2 dissolved in it and it will continue to outgas for some time. That's the cause of the bubbles on the top. They stick around for quite a while, probably because they brought some yeast to the surface with them. Looks like you made beer. :tank:

Thanks for the replies. This batch worked out high i., OG, alcohol. Seems like most folks wind up low on begining all grain batches. So i was concerned I messed things up

One comment on your recipe... Rice hulls are not needed with BIAB as your bag is your filter medium. The hulls are used in a traditional mash tun to ensure sticky grist will still lauter (not get stuck). Since you use a bag, this is not something we have to worry about. Drop those the next time and save your self a little $. Otherwise, congrats! It looks like it worked out for you!

Thanks Foosier. The rice hulls were spoken about when I bought the grain. for 50 cents it was worth the insurance. This brewing thing is kind of addicting

This beer finished out at 1.011. The color is very light, and so is the body, at least from the hydrometer sample. Beer smith says color is 3.7. The orange does come through, and the is an alcohol after taste. Hopefully bottling will mellow it out more. Curious as to how such a heavy staring gravity could ferment to such a light feel. If I do this again maybe raising the mash temp to get a better body. See what happens in a couple of weeks.

Back