First BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBN

Reaction score
While I build my control panel for my ERIMS system I got a BIAB set up to hold me over. I brewed my first beer on Wednesday. It's a Caramel Amber ale.

FB_IMG_1480517302147.jpg

FB_IMG_1480526206365.jpg

If you have the right setup for BIAB so the grain is milled fine and the bag is easy to get out and hang to drip out you may find that after the 3rd batch you just don't have the will to complete the ERIMS.

http://discussions.probrewer.com/showthread.php?41266-10-minute-mash

Copied from above thread.....

Haha this is why I always get a kick out of homebrew/nano setups where the guy's all "Check out my sweet HERMS!"

Uh huh.
And are you using severely undermodified malt in a mash tun the size of a swimming pool?
No?
So you realize conversion is basically over in a couple minutes right? And you're mostly just wasting time?
No?
You also realize that a percent or two increase in efficiency will save you about 50 cents?
No?
Well at least you have disposable time and income. Say, does that mean your fermenters are glycol jacketed too? Or in a controlled fridge or something?
No?
Sigh.

One guy just could not grasp that at 10bbls not only did we not have a RIMS/HERMS, we don't need or want one.

We recently changed the speed on our auger so it takes about 20 minutes to dough in, instead of the 10 we'd been doing. The mix and liquor/grist ratio, not to mention the temperature, has been much better, less stirring and more letting the hydrator do the work. Plus conversion is mostly over by the time we're done. Short rest just to help the bed settle, then 15 minute vorlauf and we're good to go.
Russell Everett
Co-Founder / Head Brewer
Bainbridge Island Brewing
Bainbridge Island, WA

Ummm...nope..but I did just pick up a mini fridge that I have now turned into a 3 bucket fermentation chamber.

South west FL..now if it would ever cool off enough so I could cool my wort all the way to picking temp.

I use an immersion chiller with the house water to get the temperature down to around 100F. Then use a cooler full of water chilled with plastic soda bottles filled with ice. I push the cold water through the chiller with an old fountain pump. I get down to 80F and then pitch.

I've got the xchillor that will get it down to the low 80s right now with the water Temps from the hose. I need to hook something up with my old coil chiller. Maybe run hose water through it then into the xchillor.

I've got the xchillor that will get it down to the low 80s right now with the water Temps from the hose. I need to hook something up with my old coil chiller. Maybe run hose water through it then into the xchillor.
Just get it down to around 100 or 110 and put it in the ferm chamber set to pitch temp and pitch the next day...simple easy solution

There are a few qualifications that need to go along with this high-*********-coefficient quote:

Pro brewers are working with far different mills than the average homebrewer. The much larger rollers crush the starch into much finer grits than the average homebrewer/LHBS mills can achieve while keeping the husks intact for efficient lautering.

When they dough in, they're usually using a hydrator, which combines the water with the grain as it's filling the mash tun. They're also stirring the mash as it goes in, which keeps things in motion. In essence, they're mashing as they dough in. Dough in takes, on average, 20 minutes depending on the batch size. They'll do a rest, then vorlauf for roughly 10-15 minutes, sometimes while raising temps to mashout. Not all pro breweries mashout, which actually continues conversion while they pump the wort into the kettle.

So if you add that up: 20 minute dough in, 10 minute rest, 10 minute vorlauf... That's 40 minutes to convert. Then, if they're doing a mashout it takes time to raise the temp, so figure another 15-20 minutes to get there, at least half of that time is still within enzyme friendly temperature, so still converting. If they don't do a mashout (and more don't than do!) then it usually takes at *least* 30 minutes to lauter into the kettle, which is more time to convert.

Yeah, it's pretty different that homebrewing. They're not 'mashing for 10 minutes'. That's an incorrect and disingenuous statement.

I'm not talking out of my... well, you know. I've actually helped build and brewed in a real pro brewery.

http://discussions.probrewer.com/showthread.php?41266-10-minute-mash

Copied from above thread.....

Haha this is why I always get a kick out of homebrew/nano setups where the guy's all "Check out my sweet HERMS!"

Uh huh.
And are you using severely undermodified malt in a mash tun the size of a swimming pool?
No?
So you realize conversion is basically over in a couple minutes right? And you're mostly just wasting time?
No?
You also realize that a percent or two increase in efficiency will save you about 50 cents?
No?
Well at least you have disposable time and income. Say, does that mean your fermenters are glycol jacketed too? Or in a controlled fridge or something?
No?
Sigh.

One guy just could not grasp that at 10bbls not only did we not have a RIMS/HERMS, we don't need or want one.

We recently changed the speed on our auger so it takes about 20 minutes to dough in, instead of the 10 we'd been doing. The mix and liquor/grist ratio, not to mention the temperature, has been much better, less stirring and more letting the hydrator do the work. Plus conversion is mostly over by the time we're done. Short rest just to help the bed settle, then 15 minute vorlauf and we're good to go.
Russell Everett
Co-Founder / Head Brewer
Bainbridge Island Brewing
Bainbridge Island, WA

Back