First BIAB...2nd batch ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1977Brewer

Free Dan Hess.
Reaction score
I'm going in feet first here, mainly because I am enamored with the entire process.

Here's the plan. I brought home 14 lbs. of double crushed Breiss Pale, 3 oz. Cascade, 1 oz Columbus, and 2 packs of S-05. I'm going to attempt a parti-gyle double SMaSH, but if it gets away from me I'll just go single and keep the Columbus on ice for next time...or dry hop with it.

At any rate, I wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for this forum. Thanks for your openness, friendliness, and brutal honesty when it's needed. Am I completely insane to try a double batch on my first real brew day?

I'm starting after breakfast on Saturday. In fact, I'll probably be heating strike water while cooking breakfast.

I probably won't sleep tomorrow night. I might not tonight. So stoked.

Take notes and notes and notes and notes... I thought I would remember it all my first couple times and learned my lesson.

Notes taken. Forgot to get the OG on the first run, grabbed the sample from under the yeast.

Other than that, smooth day. Here's some pics of my ghetto mash rig and woefully small BK. Oh, and Bowser slurping up some wort. Unhopped.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1423344531.895452.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1423344556.725492.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1423344571.203619.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1423344595.830737.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1423344618.853140.jpg

2nd batch is coming up. Tried to move this outside but my grill's burner blew out. Windy today.

I would put those in a tub ASAP or somewhere to catch the krausen that is going to come and have a party

Back