First belgian witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweendogg82

Reaction score
Well, I really love sam adams white lantern so i want to make my own. Heres the batch i have planned for this weekend.

3lbs bavarian wheat DME
3lbs golden light LME
1 oz Saaz hops (wanted bc goldings but store had 0) 60 min boil
1 oz coriander last 5 mins
1 oz bitter orange peel last 5 mins
safbrew S33 yeast

The recipe i found calls for 3/4 oz of each of the flavorings but i thought maybe a little more wont hurt.

What are everyones thoughts and suggestions?

The first Belgian Wit I brewed, I used .5 oz of ground coriander and the next I used .5 oz of crushed coriander. The batch I brewed using ground coriander was fantastic, the one I used with crushed was more than a little overpowering.
So, generally you'll get a more pronounced coriander profile when using crushed versus ground. And it also depends on your own preference...all that being said, I would recommend starting out with less, than more. I find it easier to drink a batch with a little less of a specific flavor profile than an overpowering one...
Hope this helps and happy brewing....

1.020 seems low. What was your volume in the fermentor? Most likely the wort was not well mixed and your sample was from an area of the wort light on extract sugars.

Ya i didnt let it sit very long before taki g a sample. Shouldve been somewhere arou d 1.050. It is fermenting well so im not worried.

The DME and LME is equivalent to 9.75lbs of grain, so 1.020 does seem very low. Do you measure your O.G. using a hydrometer? If so, what number do you get when you put your hydrometer in just water?

I did it in a graduate with a hydrometer. Im guessing I took my sample from it too early before it could all settle in. My OG im guessing wouldve been around 1.050. It is fermenting fine and lloks great. It has a nice orangey color that a witbier has. I didnt add any pilsner malt tho. I see others do so Im not sure if it will taste right.

Back