First Belgian Quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack13

Reaction score
...or anything this big.

3 main questions:

1) Is this advised for the starter? : (1 pkt WL Abbey Ale yeast) 2.5 liter starter at 1.040, then decant and step up with another 2 liter starter at 1.060. Target OG = 1.092, 5.5 gallon batch.

2) Any opinions on whether I should secondardy this in a glass carboy for months to condition/age, then bottle, or bottle it sooner and bottle condition/age? Regarding my fermentation conditions: This would be stored in an air-conditioned/heated room; temp is kept around 66 in cold months and 72 in warm months; I'm in Delaware, USA; and I will be brewing this next weekend - end of April.

3) What is a good substitute for Styrian Goldings?

Thanks!

Picture of recipe below

BQ.jpg

I recently tried my first big beer....a wee heavy at 1.110. Here's what I learned for next time....

- buy the extra pack of liquid yeast and make 1 starter. You've got enough things to worry about with this batch...spend $7 to make pitch rate easier.
- oxygen....and then oxygen again about 8hrs into fermentation
- low end of preferred ferm temperatures of the yeast
-time...time...time. My beer tasted like a$$ the first 4 months

Good luck!

I don't think you need to do a 2 step starter. I think a 2.5L starter will be enough. I brewed a Tripel with 3787 (OG 1.084) with a 3L starter and that was more than enough yeast. If you give the beer a month in the primary I think you can skip the secondary and go straight to bottle conditioning. I rarely use a secondary.

I'm a big fan of using Sterling hops in Belgian ales. They have good bittering and good flavor/aroma.

Just as a heads up 3787/530 ferments quite violently so give yourself plenty of headspace and keep it on the cooler end of the temperature range the first 48 hours.

Good luck!

I agree with cswis86. I used a Kraussen catcher and reintroduced the blow off yeast twice. Make sure your starter has headroom also. I came home from work to my foam stopper and yeast all over my counter.

Wow, I'll definitely set up the blow off tube for this one.

For the starter, does 2.5 L in a one-gallon carboy seem safe?

And would anyone be concerned about aging during the summer months in a low 70's room? I guess I technically aged bottles in there last summer, but nothing that specifically 'needs' to age. I do have a friend with a basement I could impose on if it's likey to be an issue.

2.5L may be enough. Depends on the age of the yeast. Use a pitch calculator like the one from brewers friend. I did a step starter and my yeast was around 1 month old. I did a 1L starter, then I chilled, decanted and let it warm to room temp. Then I did a 2L starter. It was too big as I did not leave headroom for the over active yeast. Room condiditioning in the 70s should be fine. I have done it both ways and can't really tell a difference. Warmer temp will speed up the process though.

Back