First Belgian brew, advice on which style wanted.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snood

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've been brewing AG for a few years now but I still haven't tried any Belgian styles. I'm still very much new to Belgian beers generally. I'm looking for recommendations on which particular style would be good to try for the first time? Recipe ideas are also of course welcome!

For an easy drinking Belgian you can't go wrong with Northernbrewer's Patersbier. The grainbill is just pilsner malt, it really lets the yeast be the star. They list their recipes on the site (no need for the multi step mash, single infusion is fine).

Which Belgian style do you like?

There is a big difference between a Tripel and a BDSA or a Dubbel.

A real simple one is a tripel.

80% Belgian pils, 20% sugar, bitter to a BU:GU ratio of .375 using noble hops. I like saaz. A variation is 70% pils, 10% Munich and the rest sugar.

This really lets the yeast come through. I like 3787 (Westmalle strain). or 1214. (Chimay strain).

Pitch in the mid 60's and hold it there for a couple of days and then let the temp ramp up.

You could brew a lower gravity beer like a Belgian pale first and use the yeast cake for a higher gravity beer like a tripel or dark strong.

I probably wouldn't use the whole yeast cake. The mr malty yeast calculator gives the amount to use of using slurry. It beats making a 2 liter starter for sure.

Back