First Beer to Keg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
Just transferred my Centenniel Blonde to Secondary. I normally do not do a secondary.....but wanted to have it as clean as possible before transferring my first beer to my new keg. (First time kegging).

I am planning secondary for 4-5 more days then a cold crash (after confirming FG) in carboy for a day to drop any other "stuff" out since I do not need active yeast like I would if bottling...then transfer to keg and carbonate. Excited here like a little kid on Xmas Eve! :mug:

Sound reasonable?

Well, using a secondary is an option but I don't think it becomes more or less necessary combined with kegging. Your keg can effectively act as your bright tank (aka secondary). Depending on your method of carbonation most sediment will settle out while carbonating and then the first 4oz or so you pour will have the sediment in it and after that it will be relatively to completely clear.

Either way congrats! I know kegging has allowed me to enjoy brewing MUCH more than I think I would have otherwise. I really don't know if I would have kept brewing if I hadn't switched to kegging. I just really dreaded bottling.

most sediment will settle out while carbonating and then the first 4oz or so you pour will have the sediment in it and after that it will be relatively to completely clear.

This makes a lot of sense.....thanks for the advice.... :rockin:

...and I really don't like to secondary because of the exposure to air and possible infection, etc.

Just don't move the keg after things have settled, otherwise it becomes muddy. If you want to clear it up, you can jump the beer from one keg to another once it has cleared, and then all the beer in the new keg will be clear with no sediment to worry about. I do this if I can plan ahead for traveling with my beer, otherwise the beer is really muddy by the time I get to my destination.

Back