First beer first pour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckabrewski

Reaction score
Autumn amber extract kit from Midwest.

image-1344325019.jpg

I think you should send me a case of those bottles so I can properly evaluate your results. :) Congrats! Enjoy the obsession!

Looks great!

My Autumn Amber has been in primary for a week. Cant wait to taste it!

What schedule did you use? I was planning on 2 weeks primary, then bottling.

I did 1 week primary 2 weeks in secondary then 3 weeks in bottles. If you dont have a secondary go for 3 in the primary.

If its an ale, and particularly if its a dark ale, I would just leave it in the primary for 3 weeks then bottle. This is a heated topic of discussion, but it seems that most have gotten away from the 1-2-3 procedure. Just make sure you check your gravity readings before doing anything.

So far i have had 3 beers from this batch and have had 3 completely different flavors. The first one was awesome had a great head the other 2 not so much. Should i take them out of the fridge and let them condition another week?

Maybe. I say maybe because it could be an issue of the bottles carbonating at different rates, but it could also be an issue of improper dissolution of the priming sugar...which its unlikely extra time could fix. But it wouldn't hurt to give them extra time regardless.

Lol rookie mistake I made. My brew was only bottled for 2 weeks before I started cracking them open. Im guessing this is what caused the inconsistency in taste and carbonation. lol too bad I already drank about 6 of them.

We did the same as you - cracked the Autumn Ambers about 2 weeks after bottling. At the time we thought we had something really special - we actually made beer and it tasted like beer! Little did we know how much better they tasted with some age under the belt.

I know you're going to keep drinking them, but wait till you taste them a month from now - they will be much better.

DonnieZ said:
We did the same as you - cracked the Autumn Ambers about 2 weeks after bottling. At the time we thought we had something really special - we actually made beer and it tasted like beer! Little did we know how much better they tasted with some age under the belt.

I know you're going to keep drinking them, but wait till you taste them a month from now - they will be much better.

Is that a month in the closet or fridge?

Back