First batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giovanni

Reaction score
Today I started a 3 liters experimental batch of mead.
I used local honey and as yeast I pitched a C. cerevisiae strain, called "narbonne", that was suggested me by a professional winemaker.
OG is 1055, so I hope to reach a good abv.
I'll keep you update.

I'm not certain what you may consider to be a "good ABV", but if you wanted a high ABV an OG of 1.055 will not provide it. That is an extremely low SG for a mead and will only produce an ABV near 7.5% (at dryness).

While using a 71B yeast has its benefits, without knowing the details of your recipe, it's difficult to tell if it will do anything special for your mead. :confused:

Most people make mead with between 2 and 3 pounds/gal (or 250 to 350 grams/liter). This will result in an OG between 1.075 and 1.1 with an expected ABV of between 10 and 15%. Mead is usually made to strengths similar to wine not beer.

With an OG of 1.055 you will have a mead that is dry, light bodied and light flavored. It should be ready to drink quicker and would probably be pretty good carbonated as a sparkling mead.

Craig

this would also be a good candidate for fruit addition. The low gravity and the 71B yeast should provide for a very nice sparkeling raspberry that would be ready for the early summer nights out.

Hi,
I wasn't thinking at it as a wine, so a good abv is somenthing like to 7%.
I wanna make a sparkling mead, maybe with fruit adjunt, something suitable to be served off meal.
I've also feared that a too much high OG could be responsable a too sweet mead, while I prefer dry drink.
Recipe is very simple, just add the honey needed to reach 1055.

Fermentation is going well, a lot of sparkling in the batch,there is a lot of yeast in suspension, I think it will continue to go on in this manner for a while.

Update:
Mead is nicely fermenting, still sparkling but a little cloudy.
I was wondering about which fruit is the best addition..any suggest?

To answer your og question.

High OG + Yeast that wont' ferment all of the sugars = sweet. I have a mead that's near at 21% (Estimated) that is dry as a popcorn fart. (0.996) I'ts all about the yeast.

Have you decided if you're adding fruit to the secondary?
did you use the 71B?

Are you going to prime and bottle carb? If so, Beer Bottles! (Has to point that out) But will be gooooood!

After all I think I'll prime and bottle carb.
Then when the 1 gallon fermenter would be free I will start another batch, with chestnut honey, with the goal of an OG something like 1100.

Back