First batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonLT

Reaction score
Hey guys, had my first brew day today and was a blast! Quick question though. When I transferred to the fermenter, I tried to get as much of the trub out as I could but it was a real pain. Also, just poured the yeast into the carboy and put the airlock on, no stirring or anything. This is what my fermenter looks like after 4 hours. Is there too much trub in there? Could I siphon it to another fermenter?

ForumRunner_20131109_185708.jpg

It's fine, my first few batches I poured the entire contents of the kettle into the fermenter. They turned out fine. A racking cane or valve on your kettle will help reduce the amount of trub that makes it into your fermenter.

Recently I haven't been trying at all to separate trub. I just dump kettle into fermenting bucket after cooling. I haven't noticed any detriment to taste or clarity.

I just pour it through a strainer and into bucket... But you'll be fine.

You may want to consider cold crashing if you can.. Before bottling.

I just pour it through a strainer and into bucket... But you'll be fine.

You may want to consider cold crashing if you can.. Before bottling.

I was pouring through a strainer, but it kept clogging up. I'm thinking of whirl pooling the next batch and siphoning to the fermenter. This batch had 4 separate hop additions so there was a lot of hop matter in there. I wonder if I should have used hop bags instead.

Also, from the look of my carboy I seemed to have boiled off more than a gallon I'm thinking. Maybe I should start with 6.5 gallons on my next boil?

Back