First batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruck

Reaction score
I there. I'm a beer brewer for the most part though I have made ciders and meads in the past as well. Kind of feel like making wine a bit now. Bought a juice kit and am embarking on my first batch. Any tips? Kind of a vague question I know, but I know the process more or less relative to fermentation. Was just hoping that you folks may have some words of wisdom to share.

Follow the directions to the letter. It will turn out just fine.

The only thing you should be concerned about is degassing. Kits require LOTS and LOTS of it.

That's a very nice kit, and I know you'll love the results. As was mentioned, with that kit follow the directions perfectly. You'll have a great wine when done.

Degassing was mentioned- pay special attention to it. To test to see if you're done degassing, pull out a sample in a jar, cover it and shake it a bit. If you see ANY bubbles, the kit is not degassed so get back to work! The first few kits I degassed by hand, then I said the heck with it and I bought a wine whip. It goes into your drill, and works great. A couple of points- "volcano" is not too strong of a word for what will happen so if you go this route, go slow to start!!!!!! Otherwise, a wine volcano can erupt and go right up into your drill (which is electric...........disaster!) so give careful attention to degassing.

Otherwise, follow the instructions perfectly and it'll be great. Go ahead and buy extra campden tablets, and add 6 crushed and dissolved (in 1/4 cup boiling water) campden tablets into the bottling bucket so that you can keep the wine a year or two. That wine will improve with age, and you want to use the sulfites at bottling.

Back