First batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think next time wont get brewers best kit and put one together myself with whole hops.Had a hell of a time not sucking hops into the primary when i was siphoning to it.

It's not a big deal even if the hops end up in the primary. They'll just settle out at the bottom. You could try using a funnel and a strainer next time, if you really don't want the hops in there.

Nah, nothing to worry about. I usually run my wort through a strainer which picks out some of it, not because it filters out the hop sediment, but because it helps aerate.

Think next time wont get brewers best kit and put one together myself with whole hops.Had a hell of a time not sucking hops into the primary when i was siphoning to it.

They are not going to hurt anything being in the primary unless you are worried about the extra .0003 cubic feet being taken up.

There are several threads with peoples DIY hop filters if you want to go that route too.

Ignore the bubbles, they're only there to confuse you. If 63 is the temperature in the room, then you're probably somewhere in the upper 60's inside your fermenter. You're doin' fine.

Ahh, don't have the package anymore? Odds are you're at a good temp for it. Low end of the range lets the yeast do their work, but keeps them at a slower pace so they're not spewing out tons of by products that give off flavors. So long as you stay in the suggest temp range for your yeast, you usually can't go wrong sticking to the low end. Unless you're making a Belgian or something where you want the different flavors in there.

61 is almost certainly fine for a normal-ish ale. Belgians and hefeweizens are the most common exceptions.

FWIW, the kind of yeast that you use and what temperature you ferment at can make a tremendous difference in how your beer tastes. So if you're interested in learning how to make good beer, it's worth paying attention to what kind of yeast you use in the future (along with what kind of grains or extract, and what kind of hops, etc)

Going strong now.
This is the brewers best American cream ale kit and says about 5 to 7 days in fermenter.
I was wonder could this one stand a fem more days or week in the fermenter?

A lot of folks on this forum do about 21 days in primary then rack to bottling bucket and bottle for an additional 3 weeks.
I have mostly stuck to that schedule especially for the type of beer that you are working on now.
Many people use secondaries if they are adding dry hops or fruits to their beer.
My suggestion is to leave your primary alone for 18 days. take 3 hydrometer readings on three consecutive days (19, 20 & 21). If the reading remains constant, you are ready to bottle.
While you are waiting, start working on your next batch :) keep that pipeline working

Uh oh. You'll find that to be a cyclical thing.

"My primaries are full, I need to get more"

"Now to brew some beer for my new primaries"

"My primaries are full, I need to get more"

:D
Yeah my wife already looks worried because thats how im about my boat and my R/C cars.There always seems something i need to buy.

Ok i don't want to be that annoying nobb, but After days almost no air lock activity.
So is it ok to let it sit longer?I will start taking hydrometer readings today.
I always see let the yeast clean up after themselves but i don't want it to spoil.

Yeah my wife already looks worried because thats how im about my boat and my R/C cars.There always seems something i need to buy.
Atta boy ;) I've still got my old RC-10 Team Edition in race shape in the garage. Last time I raced it in competition was...oh crap I'm old. 1993? The "Stealth" tranny was still the new big deal :)

I've gotten into Helis recently, though. Talk about a challenge!

bcp_handicapable.jpg

Congrats on the first brew. As others have said, leave it in the primary as long as you like. If you have the patience for 3-4 weeks, it will just make the beer even better.

-Joe

Ok i don't want to be that annoying nobb, but After days almost no air lock activity.
So is it ok to let it sit longer?I will start taking hydrometer readings today.
I always see let the yeast clean up after themselves but i don't want it to spoil.
It won't spoil. Airlock activity can stop after a single day if you've had a fast and hot ferment. The yeast are still doing their thing in there.

Take a hydro reading if you like. If it were me, I'd just forget about it for another week.

-Joe

I have not got into racing i mostly bash since im on a couple acres it is great.
Most of my free time goes to boating with the family so no racing time.

Ok just bottled first batch!
I think somehow i lost a bit i got 24 22oz and 2 16oz .
Is that about right?

By my math, that comes out to 4.375 gallons, or about 46 12 oz bottles. I generally get a bit more than that (usually 48 12oz bottles or 4.5 gallons) but a bit of wasted beer is to be expected. Call it the Angel's Share. Also, some people (generally those who use dip tubes in their bottling buckets) get a bit more.

Also is the 1/2inch of crap on the bottom normal?

In the bottom of your fermenter? Absoloutely normal. We call that trub. In the bottom of your bottling bucket? No, now that would be unusual, and would probably be the result of poor racking technique.

I tasted a little of the left over and it already tasted better then the miller lite im forced to drink.Should be real good as long as i didn't mess up the bottling.

Four days in the bottles seem to be carbing up nice.I put some in a clear plastic bottle so i could watch the progress and right now it seems really hazy but im guessing that will go away.
Also i have them carbing in the same place i was fermenting so the temp is the same at 63f will it take longer to carb at that low temp?

Four days in the bottles seem to be carbing up nice.I put some in a clear plastic bottle so i could watch the progress and right now it seems really hazy but im guessing that will go away.
Also i have them carbing in the same place i was fermenting so the temp is the same at 63f will it take longer to carb at that low temp?

Just remember if they are in clear bottles dont let the sunlight get to them or you'll get a skunky taste. Sounds like you did everything right. Now the hardest part is waiting for them to bottle condition for a while

Just remember if they are in clear bottles dont let the sunlight get to them or you'll get a skunky taste. Sounds like you did everything right. Now the hardest part is waiting for them to bottle condition for a while

I have them wrapped up and in the dark:tank:
I just put in those so i could watch it come along.Im temped to go taste one just see the difference from bottle time to one week since i tried a sample at bottling.

Had a sample bottle last night.
Good still not enough carb and very hazy hope it goes away. but all around tasty.
Now if i can wait two more weeks.

This three week wait is to much!
I was forced to drink Lite again last night!
I think next time i will brew one that matures really fast till i get a supply going.Any suggestions?

Back