First batch under my belt!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadstop

Reaction score
This Sunday I just did my first batch and I jumped head first into AG and even made my own started for an Imperial Stout! So needless to say I was a little nervous! But so far this is looking and tasting delicious! Airlock is steadily bubbling and I'm just waiting and hoping that I didn't screw anything up! Quick question: I had some of the fermentation come up into my airlock which was filled with vodka! I cleaned out the airlock as to prevent it from clogging but is there any chance this could screw with or infect my beer? It doesn't taste like it is messed up but I'm also only two days into my
primary! I know noob question but I need to ease my mind! I already know it fermented that much cause I pitched the yeast a little too early so it was almost 80. But I don't want infected beer!

When this happens, I replace the airlock with a sanitized one. If you don't have two, put some sanitized foil over the opening while your airlock sanitizes. When you take samples, make sure you sanitize your thief. Also, no need to keep opening it, that just increases the possibility of infection.

I would strongly suggest using a blow off tube instead of the airlock, at least for primary. That stout will only increase in the vigor of ferment over the next few days and I'd be willing to bet that you will have to clean out your airlock at least one more time. That's a big beer to make for your first ag batch and first overall batch! Resist the temptation to try it too early; a beer like that will take a few months to age.

Back