First batch story!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTink76

Reaction score
Hi! Just thought I would share my first batch experience for everyone's viewing pleasure.

I got my True Brew K1 kit, 2 cases of bottles, 5 gallon kettle and a Brewer's Best Weizenbier kit from my wife for Christmas. Brewing day was Saturday, December 26th, 2009! :ban:

I picked up 7 gallons of drinking water from Safeway and got straight to work. I sanitized everything judiciously with the C brite that came with the kit. I brought 2.5 gallons of water to a rolling boil on the stove. It took over an hour to come to a boil, but it finally did, and followed the rest of the kit instructions to the letter.

I transferred the kettle to the sink and immersed it in an ice bath. I brought the temp down to about 70 degrees F in about 15 minutes or so. I poured the cooled wort into the fermenter without any straining.

FIRST THOUGHT FOR NEXT TIME: I will strain the crap out during the pour.

I topped the fermenter off to 5 gallons with the drinking water poured from about shoulder height to aerate it really well. Then I stirred and splashed the heck out of it and made sure everything was well mixed with my sanitized spoon that came with the kit.

I checked the original gravity with the hydrometer and it was 1.051 after adjusting for temperature. Almost right on target from the recipe kit.

Yeast time: I opened my pack of yeast that came with the kit and sprinkled it in the fermenter. I let it sit about 10 minutes and then I stirred it in well. I sealed it up in the fermenter and put my airlock on.

FIRST (and fortunately the only) PROBLEM: I pressed the airlock in rather than twist it in, so lo and behold, the grommet popped out and fell into my fermenter! I spent about 5 minutes fishing around with the spoon and I finally retreived it. I put it back on and TWISTED the airlock in. Hehe ... could've been much worse, eh? At least I learned something there. Twist, don't push.

My airlock was bubbling away by the next morning. I let it do its thing. On day January 1st, 2010 I opened it up to the glorious smell of beer. Took a sample with a sanitized turkey baster and checked my SG. It was 1.011! Super! I tasted the beer from my testing jar. It was pretty good, albeit what I assume everyone describes as green. I resealed the fermenter and checked the SG again on January 2nd, 2010. It was still 1.011 so I got ready to bottle. By the way, my closet that I fermented in (and my beer of course) stayed a nice 65-68 degrees F the whole time!

I sanitized all my bottles in the C brite in my sink and then on top of that ran it through a dishwasher cycle with no soap or jet dry and let it run with the heated dry cycle. May be a bit overkill, but whatever. I also sanitized all my equipment and the bottling bucket as well.

I boiled up the water and dissolved the priming sugar as the kit instructed me to do. I poured it gently into the bottling bucket. I filled my racking cane and siphon tubing with water and started the siphon into a jug until the beer was flowing and then continued racking into the bottling bucket. I was pleased to see that the racking cane worked exactly as it was supposed to and didn't transfer hardly any sediment to my bottling bucket!

I gently stirred the beer with the priming solution for about a minute (no splashing) as the kit instructed me to do. I attached the tubing from my racking cane to the spigot and attached the Fermtech bottle device or whatever it was called and opened the spigot. I got all the air out of the tubing by dispensing it into a small jar and filled my bottles. With the exception of the occasional overfill, everything went as well as expected!

I capped all the bottles with sanitized caps from the kit and then printed and applied my labels. The Weizenbier is currently conditioning in my pantry! I can't wait to crack one open in another week or so! :mug:

The label that I made is below! The website that generated it is awsome. Oh, and Calix Meus Inebrians is Latin for "My cup makes me drunk" -- funny huh? :cross:

seal jan 2.gif

Conrats!

I brewed 2 days before you I'm planning on bottling next weekend, after 3.5 weeks. I'm glad your bottling session went so smoothly since that's my next step.

Conrats!

I brewed 2 days before you I'm planning on bottling next weekend, after 3.5 weeks. I'm glad your bottling session went so smoothly since that's my next step.

Mmmm .. Cherry Wheat. Sounds good. That's what I wanted to do for my first batch (Weizebier) but the HBS suggested I try it without modifying the recipe since it was my first time. Next time I brew up some Weizenbier I think I will add cherry extract at bottling time. Good luck and let me know how it goes for you!

I just tried one of my Weizenbiers after a week in the bottle. It's clarified pretty well. It has about half the carbonation that I like so that means it is on the right track. Nice head when I poured it into my glass and left the sediment in the bottle. It would probably be much nicer cold rather than room temperature. It has a lingering hop aftertaste that I am sure will settle out with age. Cheers!

Mmmm .. Cherry Wheat. Sounds good. That's what I wanted to do for my first batch (Weizebier) but the HBS suggested I try it without modifying the recipe since it was my first time. Next time I brew up some Weizenbier I think I will add cherry extract at bottling time. Good luck and let me know how it goes for you!

I haven't added the cherry part yet. I'm using Cherry extract and everyone has told me there's a fine line between cherry beer and cherry cough syrup.

if you weren't happy about waiting for the boil, get a turkey frier. they aren't too pricy and it heats soooo much quicker AND gets you an all day ticket to the garage (just so happens thats where i keep my beer fridge!)

Awesome, sounds like a great first brew. The kit instructions will make OK beer, but search around here and read up on some techniques for your next brew that will improve things even more :)

there's a fine line between cherry beer and cherry cough syrup.

That's what worries me about doing a cherry wheat. I'd really like to try it if it weren't for this fact.

To the OP, sounds like a great first experience. Let us know how it tastes after you crack one. I'm in the process of waiting for the first batch as well. I'll start the second one this weekend to help me cope:)

Back