First batch still pretty flat after 4 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nhale

Reaction score
First batch was an Amber (Fat tire clone) Extract kit. OG 1.05. FG 1.02. Used wyeast 1728. Was in primary for 3 weeks then bottled. It's been bottled almost 4 weeks now. First week was at 65 degrees and then I moved upstairs so it was around 70 the last three. When I open I get a slight pop and a little bit of foam on top when I pour but then it dissipates in a couple minutes and seems pretty flat overall. I've sampled each week since bottling, it has gotten much better tasting...but does not seemed to have carbed up any more in the last two weeks. I also do not detect any yeast in the beer I left in the fridge 24 -48 hours before sampling and no yeast at the end of the poor. It might still be in suspension but it seems fairly clear. I primed with corn sugar as follows using one of the online calculators 3.7 gallons of beer 2.6 volumes at 70 degrees and weighed out 3.5 oz of corn sugar. The first 1.3 gallons went in a mini keg and was primed at a lesser amount. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

How long do you chill in the fridge before sampling?

Give one at least 3-4 days in there and give it a try. The cold temp for a few days will help the beer absorb a bit more of the headspace CO2 into solution.

Even if not properly chilled, You would get more of a pop than that. My honest advice is to put it someplace cool for a couple of months and forget it.

Brew something else and use accepted sugar amounts for priming.

I've left the bottles in the fridge 24 to 48 hours. I'll try and let them go a couple more days next time. I thought I was priming at the correct amount so not sure what to do different next time. Thanks

Back