First batch - Sour :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacaman

Reaction score
So i brewed my first batch of beer about 3 weeks ago. I sanitized everything, down to the boiling pot using starsan. Even before sanitizing, I washed everything by hand using dishwasher soap. I used one of those Austin Homebrew Store "Texas Blonde Ale" extract kits. Real simple, just boil, add extract, add hops, cool off, pitch yeast, toss into fermenter. I let it sit in there for 3 weeks, and then put it into the keg (which i sanitized last night), and let it carb over night.

This morning when i went to taste my first taste, I noticed i had a CO2 leak, but still carbed a tiny bit reguardless. The beer tasted a little sour, and had a fruity smell. When i drink it, it kind of burns down my esophagus, almost like a whiskey shot type burn.

My only conclusion is I infected my beer, or its still too premature to drink, infection probably being most likely.

One thing I did note while brewing that might have broken sterile technique was, when i was giving it an ice bath, I took off the lid of the pot to check temp, and forgot to put the top back. I dipped my hand in the ice bath water to feel the temp, and when i pulled it out, a few drops (maybe 2-3) fell into the wort. I kind of panic'd, but just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best since I did wash my sink before brewing with water, soap and a sponge.

Any thoughts?

Just "green". Give it a few weeks.

I'd give it a bit longer. If after a month it still has that bad taste or it's gotten worse then you have a problem.

ETA: I have a pils-ale that is suspect for dumping right now but I'm letting it sit and age more before making that call. It was a no boil kit and it has an unbearable metallic taste. I figure you've put this much time in, what will it hurt to let it go a month longer or so. Besides, you can start your next batch in the mean time. :mug:

The problem with just getting into brewing is that everyone tells you "sanitation is the most important part."

While this is true...I think people take it a little overboard. When I brew, I only sanitize whatever the wort is touching after it's been cooled. Even then, I just have pre-mixed sanitizer in a spray bottle. I just spray it on everything and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. I've had one infection in the last 4 years...and it was because I used a bottling bucket to ferment in.

Your beer isn't infected. I'm betting it's a combination of carbonic acid and green beer that you're tasting. Don't use the method for kegging that you're attempting to use. Fast carbing is a horrible idea and more often than not, it leads to and overcarbonated beer. Set the Co2 regulator at 10-15psi depending on your fridge temp, and let it sit for 2 weeks before you try it.

Even though your beer is carbonated...it's still green. Fast carbonating isn't going to fix the fact that the beer still needs more time.

So...in conclusion: Let your beer sit for another 2 weeks and then try it again.

Just "green". Give it a few weeks.

Is the cidery tang flavor an indication of simply needing more time conditioning in the bottle?

I tossed one bottle of my MrBeer Hop Head Red clone bottles in the fridge today. Just popped it, and it tastes... cidery. Got that tang still, just like my first batch (west coast pale). Obviously I'll just keep the bottles where they are and test again in a couple weeks. Wasn't expecting great taste, but was hoping I wouldn't get that cidery tang again. The HHR was in the MrB fermenter 4 weeks (relatively high gravity with DME in place of the MrB booster, plus honey, along with the MrB LME cans). I batched primed it in a bottling bucket, and it's been in the bottle for 3 weeks now.

I've also got 5 gallons of amber in bottles now, which I did form a True Brew kit (DME and hopped LME) and I'll be really pissed if I continue to get the cidery taste. Pretty bummed out at this point.

Last weekend I bottled the MrBeer Mad Dog IPA. SO that means I have about 4 cases (1 of HHR, two of the Amber, and 1 of the IPA) in bottles and won't be surprised if they are all gonna have this tang. :(

Got ingredients ready for 5 gallons of a Sierra Pale clone I was hoping to brew tomorrow, and now I'm wondering what I need to do differently. Don't have the ability to do a full 5 gal boil at this point, so intended to do the partial boil and add to water in the fermenter. Boiling water tonight to have clean water to put in the fermenter, but I really am paranoid now.

I will give it more time then!

Should i leave it in the keg refrigerated or at room temp? With CO2 or with CO2 drained out?

Sorry for those questions, Suthrncomfrt1884 answered them while I was type thing :)

Is the cidery tang flavor an indication of simply needing more time conditioning in the bottle?

I tossed one bottle of my MrBeer Hop Head Red clone bottles in the fridge today. Just popped it, and it tastes... cidery. Got that tang still, just like my first batch (west coast pale). Obviously I'll just keep the bottles where they are and test again in a couple weeks. Wasn't expecting great taste, but was hoping I wouldn't get that cidery tang again. The HHR was in the MrB fermenter 4 weeks (relatively high gravity with DME in place of the MrB booster, plus honey, along with the MrB LME cans). I batched primed it in a bottling bucket, and it's been in the bottle for 3 weeks now.

I've also got 5 gallons of amber in bottles now, which I did form a True Brew kit (DME and hopped LME) and I'll be really pissed if I continue to get the cidery taste. Pretty bummed out at this point.

Last weekend I bottled the MrBeer Mad Dog IPA. SO that means I have about 4 cases (1 of HHR, two of the Amber, and 1 of the IPA) in bottles and won't be surprised if they are all gonna have this tang. :(

Got ingredients ready for 5 gallons of a Sierra Pale clone I was hoping to brew tomorrow, and now I'm wondering what I need to do differently. Don't have the ability to do a full 5 gal boil at this point, so intended to do the partial boil and add to water in the fermenter. Boiling water tonight to have clean water to put in the fermenter, but I really am paranoid now.

You could try doing a partial mash or switching to DME. It seems to help reduce the sour extract twang that you are describing. Don't worry, you're not alone. There are a ton of new brewers posting how their first batches taste sour and they are usually pointed in the wrong direction by being told they have an infection, which is seldom true.

You could try doing a partial mash or switching to DME. It seems to help reduce the sour extract twang that you are describing. Don't worry, you're not alone. There are a ton of new brewers posting how their first batches taste sour and they are usually pointed in the wrong direction by being told they have an infection, which is seldom true.

Story of my life :cross:

Back