First Batch Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebbqguy

Reaction score
I made a Red Ale extract for my first beer making experience and it turned out better than I expected. Other than a minor hint of Sherry wine taste in a few of the bottles, I think the beer is good overall. I don't taste this winey flavor in all the bottles, just in a few of them.

I will be making another batch later this week and have a question for those that use Igloo coolers to chill their carboys. I've seen a few pictures, although I can't seem to find them now, with carboys stored in Igloo coolers.

I purchased a 6 gallon glass carboy today and want to use a cooler to control the temperature while fermenting. What size Igloo will I need?

Also, what the best method for cutting the access hole in the lid?

Save a few bottles and hide them from yourself. Try them in a month or so. You'll be amazed at how they improve. :)

There is an igloo cooler in my gallery that I use to keep the temperatures steady. I made another lid out of sheet foam, so I can still use it as a cooler just by popping the other lid on. That, and I think the lid is hollow, so even cutting it with a dremel would have left a gaping hole that I would have needed to fill with foam insulation or something. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Back