First batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FandMBrewman

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just checked on my first batch of home brewed beer and that airlock is bubbling away. As I eagerly await the results of my first foray into home brewing I have a few questions to ask.

First, I bought a five gallon fermentation bucket with a spout at the bottom. The spout came detached so I attached it, but I have been unable to create a perfect seal with it. Has anyone else had this problem, or does it sound like my product is defective?

Secondly, I have a question about yeast. I used dried Munton's Ale yeast, I am brewing a stout. Before adding the yeast to the cooled wort I primed it in warm watter. The cooling of the wort took longer than I expected and the yeast was sitting for a while. Will the yeast be effected negatively by having been left sitting in water at room temp. for 30 min or so?

Thanks for your help, and wish me luck with this brew and all those yet to come.

no that's normal for buckets with spigots. that's actually a bottling bucket not a fermentation bucket. I've heard of people fermenting in those with success. also don't be alarmed if the airlock doesn't bubble on a bucket. again this is normal and nothing to worry about. all an airlock is is a pressure release valve and if its not bubbling its because the pressure is escaping elsewhere.

your yeast are perfectly happy and are munching away at the sugars in your wort. RDWHAHB.

First, I bought a five gallon fermentation bucket with a spout at the bottom. The spout came detached so I attached it, but I have been unable to create a perfect seal with it. Has anyone else had this problem, or does it sound like my product is defective?
The bucket with the spigot is for bottling, not fermenting. Did you put the rubber gaskets on both sides of the bucket wall?
gaskets.jpg

Secondly, I have a question about yeast. I used dried Munton's Ale yeast, I am brewing a stout. Before adding the yeast to the cooled wort I primed it in warm watter. The cooling of the wort took longer than I expected and the yeast was sitting for a while. Will the yeast be effected negatively by having been left sitting in water at room temp. for 30 min or so?
No problem, the yeast - and your beer - will be fine. :)

Thanks for your replies.
I did not put rubber gaskets on both sides, only one, I will try putting a second one on.
I bought the bucket knowing it was a bottling bucket and not a fermenter, but hoped to use it for both purposes. If it leaks though does that mean that bacteria can enter the bucket?

30 min is what is actually recommended for proofing the yeast(not priming). I always add some wort at 75 degrees to the yeast (@30 min)then aerate my wort which is 65 deg when i pitch.This way it doesnt shock the yeast as bad jumping from 90 degrees to 65.Dry pitching is fine also but im converted to hydrating as i have faster starts and is suppose to be better for the yeast also.
You have to tighten that spigot as much as you can.I had a leaker doing it this way once i just turned it some and it was fine.Beer turned out ok also.

The problem with using the bottling bucket as a fermenter is a thick layer of yeast, coagulated proteins and particulates, called trub, forms at the bottom of the bucket. It can be up to a couple of inches thick, which will clog the spigot.

BTW, be sure to disassemble the bottling spigot, gaskets and all when you clean up and sanitize everything. And sanitize it again before you bottle your next batch. Microbes can hide in there. Remember, you can never over-sanitize.

If you strain your wort you may not have a problem using a botteling bucket,I drilled a hole in a bucket up a little higher for this purpose.Although i only use it to bottle now.This would require you to get a differnt bucket and if you did you may as well just use it without a hole,then just rack it to your bucket.May as well pick up a couple and make some more beer.
Using your botteling bucket as primary you also have to consider how to prime your sugar.In the bottle dry or add it to the bucket and disturbing the yeast,its recommended to let it settle after you gently stir in the preboiled sugar also before botteling, i would wonder how well it would mix evenly.

Thanks for all of the great advice.
For this batch I am using my carboy as the primary fermenter and plan on skipping a secondary fermentation and going straight to keg.
I did strain the wort for this batch, although being a pain, I would not mind doing it each time if it would mean being able to ferment in the bottling bucket.
In the future I would like to use the bottling bucket as a primary fermenter.
I appreciate all of the helpful advice.

The kit I got from williamshomebrew.com only had one gasket and it goes on the outside. I've brewed 10 batches with no leaks.

NRS

Thanks for your replies.
I did not put rubber gaskets on both sides, only one, I will try putting a second one on.
I bought the bucket knowing it was a bottling bucket and not a fermenter, but hoped to use it for both purposes. If it leaks though does that mean that bacteria can enter the bucket?

You're fine. I use bottling buckets as fermenters regularly. (10 gal in bottling buckets as we speak) If it leaks, get gaskets for both sides and tighen it down better. The leak won't be a big concern for bacteria as you've got flow going away from the beer. You might want to go to secondary early to avoid the mess though.

Hey guys, I have a quick question. Is it going to harm my brew if I remove the lid from my fermentation bucket to check for foam and test the gravity of my brew? It's been about 3 days since we started, and I haven't seen any activity in the airlock. I know that doesn't mean anything, but I want to check without harming my brew.

Hey guys, I have a quick question. Is it going to harm my brew if I remove the lid from my fermentation bucket to check for foam and test the gravity of my brew? It's been about 3 days since we started, and I haven't seen any activity in the airlock. I know that doesn't mean anything, but I want to check without harming my brew.

I wouldnt check it until the foam is gone,the yeast is in the middle of its process.The foam dies down then it starts finishing over a period of a few more days then needs to conditon for a week or two + more. The foam and/or krausen is a real good indicator of activity.Your good you could check it but its going to go down more later most likely.

Back