First batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scyohe

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do my first batch and I have chosen to use Mr. Beers american pale ale HME. What I need to know is how much DME should I use? Is there a standard volume/DME ratio? I'm only doing a 2 gallon batch to start.

You need to figure out how much you need to add for the what is appropriate for the volume you will be making. A mister beer kit will make 2 gallons at I believe somewhere around 4%. If you make this, say, a 5 gallon batch your going to be underhopped, Unless you add more, and its going to lack flavor if you just add plain DME and more water. What ingredients come with that kit. You might be good off to add a can of prehopped LME

Oh and go join the WNY group in my profile. Lots of us here

Unfortunately this didn't come in a kit. It was a gift and all I got was the HME. I'm going to stick with the 2 gallon batch. I'm just not sure how much DME to use and their website is not much help.

As far as I know, which isn't very far, 1 lb of DME per gallon will get you to 1.044ish for your OG, I'd recommend just getting an ingredient kit though. Ok, two questions which might both be silly. Are you also planning on getting hops? and, What is HME?

As far as I know, which isn't very far, 1 lb of DME per gallon will get you to 1.044ish for your OG, I'd recommend just getting an ingredient kit though. Ok, two questions which might both be silly. Are you also planning on getting hops? and, What is HME?

The answer to your second question provides the answer to your first.

HME: H stands for ____ed

But for the OP, is this not a full recipe you're using, just partial ingredients?

Ok let me re-word my problem:

I was given what someone thought was a complete kit. Unfortunately all that was there was 19.4 ounces of American Pale Ale HME. The can states it will make 2 gallons. There were no additional instructions included. I have 2 pounds of pilsen light DME on hand. So my major question is how much DME should I use to make up for the missing LME?

On another note is there a standard ratio for DME to gallons? I know not everything is standard but just a round about idea would be awesome.

For 2 gallons of Mr.Beer Pale Ale, you would use that can + 12 ozs of 'Booster' (a mix of corn sugar and maltodextrin). That yields somewhere in the region of 3.6% alcohol.

If you want to do a 2 gallon batch, add about 10 ozs of DME to replace the booster. Add some more if you want a little more body and alcohol, just remember you start throwing off the hop schedule.

Boil some water, dissolve the DME in the boiling water, add the LME to the hot wort (do not boil; I suspect you would drive off any aromatics it may have), and top up to 2 gallons with cold water. Very simple really.

Back