First batch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalo

Reaction score
I have been reading alot lately but now it seems the more i read the more i'm getting confused,lol. I am going to start my first batch of cider in a few days and wanted to ask what i should do after it's been in the secondary for awhile and i'm ready to bottle it,i'm using preservative free Publix cider, sugar,White Labs English Cider Yeast and some Blackberries. I had planned on using carb tabs after secondary when i bottled it but the more i read i'm wondering can i just carb it and bottle it or do i need to cold crash to stop fermentation so i don't get bottle bombs?. I was hoping not to have to store the cider in the fridge and instead store it in my closet,inside is the coolest place down here in South Florida. If anyone doesn't mind giving me some tips i would really appreciate it,thanks alot.

You can certainly carb the cider. When bottling add the carb drops, and let them sit like you normally would.

I would recommend cracking one open each day to find the right carb level. Once you found the right amount of carbonation you can throw the bottles in the fridge and keep them in there to prevent further fermentation

... or you can pasteurize them (do a search for stove top heat pasteurization) which would allow you to store them wherever and not have a bunch of bottles in the fridge.

... One thing to remember is do not pasteurize on the stove if the bottles are gushing.... It can be dangerous, which is why you should crack one open each day to find the right carbonation level you are looking for.

Hope this helps!

if it's been in the secondary for a while, and is fully fermented, meaning gravity below 1.000 (depending on your starting gravity), then you can treat it exactly like beer when bottling, you can carbonate the same and won't get bombs. if you are going to have a go at bottling before fermentation is done then your closet stands a good chance of having a glass/cider shower, unless you pasteurize before they get dangerous. good luck

Dinnerstick,

Have you past. on the stove in flip tops or larger bottles? Temp and time differences?

Thanks

You can certainly carb the cider. When bottling add the carb drops, and let them sit like you normally would.

I would recommend cracking one open each day to find the right carb level. Once you found the right amount of carbonation you can throw the bottles in the fridge and keep them in there to prevent further fermentation

... or you can pasteurize them (do a search for stove top heat pasteurization) which would allow you to store them wherever and not have a bunch of bottles in the fridge.

... One thing to remember is do not pasteurize on the stove if the bottles are gushing.... It can be dangerous, which is why you should crack one open each day to find the right carbonation level you are looking for.

Hope this helps!

It helps alot,thank you very much!!. I figure i will throw some in the fridge but alot will need to be pasteurized on the stove i guess since they will be stored in the closet. I'm in no rush though with these so they will sit in secondary for quite some time.

if it's been in the secondary for a while, and is fully fermented, meaning gravity below 1.000 (depending on your starting gravity), then you can treat it exactly like beer when bottling, you can carbonate the same and won't get bombs. if you are going to have a go at bottling before fermentation is done then your closet stands a good chance of having a glass/cider shower, unless you pasteurize before they get dangerous. good luck

Thanks alot,i'm in no rush so i will let it sit in secondary until fully fermented to avoid bombs.

I did want to ask if you don't mind do i take my first reading with just the cider in the primary or after i add the sugar?,i thought it was just with the cider but the more i read i'm not sure anymore. Thanks again,you guys have been a big help clearing this up for me.

Back