Quantcast

First Batch Problems

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

chunktronic

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've brewed my first two batches of beer, but I've now encountered the same problem with both during fermentation. These are the two recipes I used: http://www.brewsupply.com/HowTo/Recipes/playaporter.html and http://www.brewsupply.com/HowTo/Recipes/venicecrm.html.
OG for both was about 1.042. I brewed the porter first, and transfered it from the primary to secondary carboy when it was at about 1.020, which I now know was too soon, since fermentation didn't go anywhere from there. The beer definitely got too cold during fermentation so thats probably why it stalled, but then even after I transfered it to a fresh carboy and pitched more yeast, and kept temperature constant at a little over 70 (i'm pretty sure I kept it fairly constant, I used a water bath the second time around), the gravity is still stuck at 1.020. As for the cream ale, gravity is now stuck at about 1.020 as well, though I haven't pitched more yeast yet. Its possible, though I'm not sure, that the temperature in the cream ale may have dropped low as well. Should I just throw more yeast into both, or is there something else I might be doing wrong? I might not have let the yeast rehydrate properly on the porter the second time, or I might have mixed the yeast in too vigorously and let in too much oxygen.
I'm getting sort of frustrated, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

OP
C

chunktronic

Reaction score
I'm using Alexander's liquid malt extract, dark for the porter and pale fro the cream ale.

OP
C

chunktronic

Reaction score
I don't think I aerated the wort of either beer, other than when I poured it into a bucket to strain out all the hops and such. I did stir both after I had added the yeast. So what do you think the solution is? Add fresh yeast and monitor the temperature more closely?

Joker

Reaction score
If you poured the brew through a funnel into your primary that should be enough to aerate the brew. That is typically all I will do. If its a bigger brew I will shake it up real good also but its not a usual practice for me.