First Batch of Wine, Not Very Impressed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnoonan22

Reaction score
From what I've read, I know my wine probably hasn't come close to maturing, but I sampled a bottle of it last night and was pretty disappointed. I made the wine from blackberries I picked last summer around july or august, following a recipee from a book.

Prior to bottling, my wine had a strong yeasty smell. I figured it was still just young, and that would subside after several months in a bottle. I bottled in January this year. Last night, I found the wine to still have the same yeasty smell. The taste was also fairly disappointing. It's very thin, no body. Apart from the yeasty smell, the taste is somewhat sweet at first, a little strong on the alcohol, and then leaves much to be desired in the aftertaste. The initial sweetness (not overly sweet, but more sweet than I was hoping for) very quickly retreats and leaves a bland and somewhat bitter taste.

So... Blackberries are ripe and I just started picking a bunch last night. I've kind of lost hope on my first batch, but I'll leave the bottles alone for more time, maybe they'll improve a little. For the next batch, I guess I'm going to try a different approach. I will probably follow one of the recipees on this site http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/blackbr2.asp.

I'm going to be much more selective in the berries i pick, as I noticed while picking them that even some berries that are nice and black can still be bland and tart, lacking sugar. I would like to use more berries with the hope of requiring less addition of granulated sugar, to hopefully retain more of the blackberry character. I didn't record everything I did last year, so unfortunately I don't recall which yeast I used.

On the recipees per the site above, the author mentions using a secondary that is dark or wrapped in brown paper. How important is this and why? I do my creating in my basement, which has a tiny half window that does let in some light, but not too much. The recipee also mentions keeping the must and secondary in 60-65 degrees F. Unfortunately, being summer, my basement is probably closer to 73 or so. Is this a poor condition? And finally, the author mentions racking only twice prior to bottling. If my last batch of wine smelled too yeasty, does this suggest maybe I should be racking more often then just 2 to 3 times?

Sorry for long post and all the newbie questions. Winemaking is such a long process, so I want to make sure I get things as close to right as possible before starting batch two. Thanks!

Can you post your recipe?

I think mid-70s is a little warm for bulk aging, but I could be wrong.

Here was the recipee (for 1 gallon, i adjusted to make 3 gallons)

6 lbs blackberries
2 1/2 lbs of sugar
1/2 tsp pectic enz
7 pints of water
1 tsp yeast nutrient

Berries crushed in nylon bag and transferred to primary. Boiled water poured over bag, allowed to sit for 48 hrs. Bag is removed, squeezed, pulp discarded. Sugar and pectic enzyme added, allowed to sit 24 hrs. Pitched yeast and nutrient, stirring everyday for 5 to 6 days (I applied airlock to primary, probably was not supposed to). Transferred to carboy secondary with airlock. Place in cool dark place for three months. Rack and allow to sit for another 2 months. Rack again and bottle (I allowed mine to continue to bulk age in carboy for another 2 months. Allow a year to mature.

Some random thoughts:
How clear was it when you bottled? It may have benefited from some clearing agent to settle out the yeast.

It's not so much the number of rackings but rather that proper clearing has been achieved. Rack when you have 1/4" lees on bottom, don't bottle until wine is clear and no more lees form.

How many lbs fruit / gallon did you use? You can often get better flavor by adding additional fruit in secondary.

Yeast selection is important, EC 1118 will ferment very dry but blows all of the flavor and aroma out the airlock because it works so fast. I would search for a yeast that does well at your temperature conditions, Allow it too ferment dry, stabilize, then add some more fruit in secondary. This will add a touch of sweetness and more of the blackberry flavor you are seeking.

I think sometimes noobies have too high of expectations that their wine will taste like the product they are fermenting. Most grape wines do not really taste much like grapes afterall. But they do taste good.

Thanks for the input. My wine was super clear when i bottled. It reminds me of a light red table wine with respect to clarity. I probably did use EC 1118 last time, but I should have documented it, so I can't say for sure.

I'm not hoping for the end product to taste exactly like blackberries (like some of those super sweet bberry wines you can buy) but more along the lines of typical red-wine with a little blackberry character. Should I consider adding tanins for body-character, or will allowing the pulp provide enough of that during the first couple of days as it sits prior to pitching?

Also, is there a reason not to add the sugar to boiling water that you pour over the straining sack with the pulp in it? As the recipee I used above stated, the sugar was added after the boiling was applied and allowed to sit for 48 hours? Sugar much more easily and thoroughly desolves in boiling water, but would adding it at that step affect the entire outcome of the wine? I don't have a problem waiting to add the sugar, but wasn't sure why that step needed to be delayed?

Also, at one point would be the best to add campden tablets for protecting against outside bacteria?

Add Campden when initially crushing fruit.

I'd add sugar to boiling water. I'm not sure about adding enzyme to hot water but I would at least add it when pitching yeast.

I'd pitch yeast 24 hours after adding campden.

I'd let the yeast work on the pulp for a week or so, Lots of goodness there. Just keep it pushed down regularly so nasties don.t grow on them.

I would quit stirring at 1/3 sugar break (1/3 of the way through your fermentation based on SG readings. Initial SG - .0996 divided by 3)

Not sure why you have yeasty taste, could just be to young.

Back