First batch of TC ready for bottling??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordspudz

Reaction score
Hi, my first batch of turbo cider has been brewing for about 6 weeks (3 weeks in a secondary DJ racked when SG was 1.000). Just over a week ago I pulled some into a sanitized plastic bottle and put it into a fridge just to see what happened. Today, I tried it and it wasn't half bad šŸ˜†. Not too sweet or dry, no bad aftertaste but not much carbonation either, which isn't a problem. It's cleared to leave a nice 'cidery' colour which I'm pleased with as it was as cloudy as hell a couple of weeks ago šŸ˜†

Would it be ok to bottle the rest or leave it for a while in the DJ? If I bottle it where's the best place to store it, in a fridge or cupboard, and how long would it last before going off?

It was a simple recipe, just concentrated apple juice, about 150 gms sugar and wine yeast.

Thanks

"Would it be ok to bottle the rest or leave it for a while in the DJ?"
Either is fine

If your SG is 1.000 and you want to bottle then you are ready. Some yeast may still get your hard cider down to 0.996 or so and could cause some carbonation in the bottle. If you did not "inhibit" the yeast with chemicals or filter them out or kill them through pasteurization then I would bottle in beer bottles with crown caps. (just my preference.)

As your SG is at 1.000 store anyway you choose. In the fridge will slow or stop the ferment if any yeast remain and at room temp may allow some carbonation to form over a few months. (Both are very unlikely at 1.000 ) But at this point nothing your beer bottles and crown caps couldn't handle.

As far as how long you can store it before it goes "off.".. I have stored a similar recipes as you made here in my cellar upwards of a year and were still pretty tasty. In-fact I think they got better with age.

Back