First batch of Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHAnimator

Reaction score
Some random notes from a rookie (for other rookies). Hope it helps someone.

Just picked up a couple of extract kits (this one and a Honey Weizen) from Northern Brewer. My first purchase from them. Was happy with the experience so far. I've also been catching up on back episodes of the brewingtv.com webcasts which I find both informative and entertaining.

Just pitched the yeast on the Red. Smells and looks outstanding.

As I've made a half dozen brews in my life, this is def an enjoyable learning experience. I'm really getting back into it with a vengeance after a too-long hiatus. I made two batches last year, then this one, and another on the shelf waiting to go. Documenting EVERYTHING for future reference.

I HOPE to get at least a dozen or more this year. Also looking to expand into partial mashes. Maybe my next order.

Everything went well, except I need to get a real kettle. I had cracked the lid on the 5 gallon lobster pot a couple of inches and walked away after adding the hops, only to have it quietly slide back onto the pot without me knowing. I came back to a mess on the stove. The glass top stove is easy to clean, but the liquid slides under the pot and that's not nice. Hope to get an outdoor propane setup for this summer.

I don't usually keep spring water in the house, but next time I'll buy 6 gallons instead of 5. I needed to add 1/2 gallon tap (gulp!). Crossing my fingers it doesn't mess anything up. Our tap water tastes good, so that's a plus.

Somehow killed TWO thermometers in the process of this batch. Not good. Will need to get something more reliable.

Instructions for this batch suggested an ice bath for the wort to get it down to 100. After the cold water around the pot heated up, I replaced it. Did this three times and it cooled in about 20 minutes or so. After doing that, then adding 2.5 gals cool/cold water to primary and added wort, I was right at 68, so after aerating, I was able to pitch the yeast right away.

So far, so fun.
NHAnimator

i just transferred my irish red to my secondary. mine started with an OG of 1.068. It smells and tastes great so far.

Are you sure that was the OG? I think the style maxes out at 1.060 and the Northern Brewer kit says 1.040.

Back