First batch of hard cider looking good so far

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal1

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been lurking for the last couple of weeks and thought it was time to join. I have three apple trees in my yard that almost broke under the weight of this years apple crop. I built a homemade press and decided it was time to dive into some hard cider making.

After almost being scared to death by the ecoli threads, believe it or not, I decided to brew up a batch of untreated, unpasteurized freshly pressed cider. I took sanitizing and cleaning fruit very serious and used only apples picked from the trees free of rot.

For my cider, I decided not to kill any wild yeasts. It might be a mistake, but I guess I will learn. I used nearly 5 gallons of fresh pressed cider. My three trees are all different types, but I have no idea what they are so I used an equal mixture of fruit. I did put in one can of thawed frozen apple juice concentrate. I then pitched a packet of M79 Burton Union yeast. After racking and secondary fermentation, I plan to bottle with a few conditioning tabs to try and achieve a light carbonation and might back sweeten with some Truvia so the wife might like it. I think I would prefer a dryer product, but this will be a good way to learn.

About 20 hours into the process and the yeast seem to be quite happy.

232323232%7Ffp54392%3Enu%3D5%3B7%3A%3E836%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3699%3C384%3C434%3Anu0mrj

Back