First batch of cider - question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eb314

Reaction score
I just put together my first batch of cider - I used apple cider (no preservatives), brown sugar and Red Star champagne yeast. I've got it in a small .5 gallon glass jug.

The initial gravity was 1.060, which should put me right around 8% abv? I'm worried about it being too dry, so I thought about stopping fermentation at around 1.014, which would be about 6% abv if I'm correct.

How can I stop fermentation with this yeast? Will cold crashing work? Or should I just let it finish fermenting and back sweeten. I'd like some of your input

safest way is to let it finish and backsweeten if you want to bottle. you might be suprised in the residual sweetness that brown sugar can offer. i like them bone dry and quit using brown sugar altogether because even dried down to .995, you can still taste some residual sweetness because of the brown sugar. if you do backsweeten, i would suggest honey. ]
sulfites have a hard time fully stopping champagne yeast, might be fine for 6 months, then *boom*!

Back