First batch, need help please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yotetrapper

Reaction score
I started my first batch 2 days ago. I added everything (campden, energizer, acid blend, honey and water) except the yeast, then. I waited 24 hours, reactivated the yeast (it was foamy) and then threw it in last night. And nothing. No bubbles, no nothing? I thought you were supposed to be able to see it bubbling or something? I dont know what I could of done wrong? Can it be fixed? Oh, it was only a 1 gallon batch, if that makes any difference? Here's the recipe...

3.25 lbs honey
7 pints water
3 ts Acid blend
1/4 t tannin
3/4 t energizer
2 campden
1 pkg yeast

Thanks for the help!

Angela

It sound be ok. Keep it warm, and give it a little while. Stir it up, and give it plenty of oxygen. It should start pretty soon. Sometimes it takes a day or two to get going.

What kind of yeast are you using?

Edit- I just saw you added 3 teaspoons of acid blend? That's the second time this week I've seen that. And two campden tablets- that's double the correct amount. Where is that recipe from?
That's alot of acid blend, and your must might be pretty acidic. And alot of sulfites from the campden- twice as much as necessary. Still, stir it up, keep it warm, and it might take off for you in a day or two. If you stir, stir, stir, you might drive off some of the sulfite.

I dont have the actual book I got it from...it was a book from a friend that I copied the recipes from... was a little purple book... called wine making or something like that... I saw it for sale on some wine supply sites.

And I know everyone is gonna yell about this part..... but I used plain old baking yeast. From what I had read it might affect the flavor, but most people said it should still work ok.....but maybe not?

Thanks for your advice, I'll stir it up!

I just went and shook it up real good... and it really foamy looking... LOTS of air bubbles on top. So maybe it is doing something?

Back