First batch...lost some must, when to taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Fat

Reaction score
Ok, I just made my first batch of mead. I used 12lbs of "tropical blossom" honey in 2 gal of water. I heated it to 140 and kept it there for 20 min (I know, there's debate about heating). Then I poured the must into (what I thought was) 2 gallons of water. Turned out to be a little more, and I wasted about 2 pints of must (it's been a LOOOOOOONG time since I brewed extract). I used nutrient and Cote des Blancs yeast. Everything seems to be doing well. Fermentation started within 12. So, what effect will losing that much must have on the mead? I'm assuming that since it's diluted, it will ferment drier and less "rich", but that's just a guess. My second question is: How long should I wait to bottle / taste? The web sites I've read state that you should wait 6-12 months before bottling, and another 6-12 months before drinking (and wait 3 years for it to reach it's full potential). Is that about right?

Thanks.

You will be fine....
I think that 12 #'s in a 5 gallon batch is a bit shy on Honey, But you will be fine. Did you take a gravity reading?

I'm sure that (hope that) Malkor will chime in with more experienced opinion about bottling date...But I'd forget about your mead for about....6 months. Tasting your samples about every 6 - 8 weeks.
Bottle when the urge strikes ya, and start sampling every once in a while. The Cotes De Blanc Yeast won't ferment as dry as Champaign yeast, but since your o.g. was...1.07?? or so?? You will end up with a fairly dry mead, but it won't be especially powerful, so aging may be a little faster.:mug:
Welcome Back...
Start some Apfelwein...That will help keep your mind off the mead.

Back