First batch - looks good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rycardo

Tinhosa Brewery
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just bottled my first batch. Looking to the fermenter it looks good?
Or is the beer contaminated and should go to the trash?

thanks

FC66E9FB-C3ED-4268-925F-A4F64954E48C.jpeg
0B4B33D2-474B-440D-B0A3-4890A508626C.jpeg
12823011-B0BF-4620-92EE-14C791BB4C2F.jpeg
58941B81-4F91-4E91-BC0A-CB369DB5B523.jpeg
0B4B33D2-474B-440D-B0A3-4890A508626C.jpeg

thanks

Looks like it's the manufacturing oil that comes on the stainless steel fermenter. If you google "black reside new stainless steel fermenter" you'll find a bunch of people who've had the same issue. Yours does seem to have quite a lot of it compared to the other photos I've seen of it though for what it's worth. So long as it tastes fine you should be good.

I see some bubbles on the top of the beer. Looks normal to me, not infected. There is probably some yeast trapped in the bubbles to make them look bigger and white.

Looks like it's the manufacturing oil that comes on the stainless steel fermenter. If you google "black reside new stainless steel fermenter" you'll find a bunch of people who've had the same issue. Yours does seem to have quite a lot of it compared to the other photos I've seen of it though for what it's worth. So long as it tastes fine you should be good.

Interesting. Never heard this before but now I recall the first time I used my Anvil bucket I had some back collar line but nothing as extensive/thick as that one. This was mine;

Black stuff.JPG

I was reading about this and it looks like the solution is to clean the stainless steel with TSP and then to do passivation. This should be performed in all the new stainless steel equipment's and also in every each two years.

I already tasted the beer and It has a off-flavor. Metal :(
The other tasters didn’t detect the off-flavor, but I can feel it.

Hey man don't get disheartened my dumb self had to throw out the first few batches. Now I can pick just about any style of beer and get it mostly right on the first try.

Hey man don't get disheartened my dumb self had to throw out the first few batches. Now I can pick just about any style of beer and get it mostly right on the first try.
Thanks for your words. I already bought the TSP (for cleaning) and Citric Acid (for passivation).
Now I will wash all stainless steel equipments with TSP (6% solution) and then passivate them with citric acid (7% solution).
My idea is to follow the steps below
1) Crete a TSP 6% concentration (use warm water at 50 degrees celsius)
2) Fill half of the stainless steel fermenter and wait 20 minute
3) Wash with a sponge
4) take out the solution
6) Create a Citric Acid solution at 7% (use warm water at 90 degrees)
7) Completly full the stainless steel fermenter and wait 120 minutes
8) take out the solution (can use it to passivate another equipment)
9) wait 48 hours
10) rinse well

What do you think?

😁 to be honest I use plastic fermonsters because I'm cheap. I hope someone else can give their opinion. I had just seen that black stuff enough times on the forums to figure that was likely the issue.

😁 to be honest I use plastic fermonsters because I'm cheap. I hope someone else can give their opinion. I had just seen that black stuff enough times on the forums to figure that was likely the issue.
Don’t call yourself cheap for using fermonster. They are durable, light weight, extremely easy to clean, affordable and can be modified to be complete closed systems. It’s a great product and the only fermenters I use by choice

Back