First batch lessons learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
After bottling up my first ever batch of home-brew and setting it in a deep dark corner for the next few weeks, I decided to sit back and consider all the many lessons I learned along the way.

Keep in mind, I am a total rookie so please don't laugh at me! out loud at least..

1. Before I even started cooking the wort, I toiled over the sanitizing solution obsessing over any possible contamination threats from a brand new brew kit.
30 minutes after I pitched, I immediately began researching 'how to tell if my beer is infected!'

Lesson learned? trust in my sanitizing methods and smile as my previous years spent working in and cleaning butcher shops and meat markets is finally coming into practical use :D

2. 36 hours after pitching, my airlock stopped. Panic sets in. First thought? Immediately sanitize a stir spoon, remove lid of fermenter to check for signs of infection or stalled fermentation and stir!

Lessons learned? The airlock is NOT an indicator of whether or not fermentation is finished. Also, do NOT risk infection/oxidation by opening fermenter unnecessarily or introducing foreign objects. Even if they're sanitized.

3. My ferment bucket was parked in the corner of my apartment under my AC register, which was set to 70 degrees. The directions said to ferment between 65 and 70 degrees, so I thought I would be alright.

Lessons learned? WRONG! Through the fermentation process, heat is generated causing the internal temperature to be higher than the ambient air temp. In reality, I finally checked that funny little thermo-strip on the side of my bucket (I knew it was on there for some reason!) and I was sitting at approximately 74 the entire time...

4. When it came time to bottle I was so excited! I picked out the bottles I thought my girlfriend would like (she loves the 'cute' types. Redstripe type stubbies, Anchor bottles and other pretty labels). I get them all cleaned, rinsed, sanitized and filled. Time to cap. MY WING CAPPER DOES NOT CAP THE 12+ ANCHOR BOTTLES I PREPPED AND FILLED! I panic, and gently pour the beer back into the bottling bucket while I do my best to clean and *hopefully* sanitize enough bottles to finish. Come to find out I wouldn't have had enough bottles to finish even if I could have capped them.

Lessons learned? Test your equipment before its 'go time'. Also, take the time to count and think the process through before you're up the creek!

Fifth and final. I spent a lot of money, time and energy to brew this first batch of mine. Following directions to a T, studying my book for a week prior to brew day, stressing, staring at my airlock 20 minutes a day for 2 weeks, stressing more and finally bottling. As much as I read and obsessed, I could not accept the fact that I'm a n00b and mistakes will be made! A lot of them, in fact..

Lessons learned? RELAX! To me, this is about fun and learning along the way. That means making mistakes and learning from them! I needed to simply trust in my processes, be patient and enjoy the fact that I'm brewing my own beer!

If anyone is still left at the end of this novel, thank you for reading and not judging to harshly! I made MANY more idiotic mistakes along the way that I am either to embarrassed to include here or I would just rather forget the fact that I did something so stupid! In any case, thank you again for the read and I hope this can possibly somehow help a fellow rookie on their journey! :mug:

Congratulations on the first batch being under your belt. The best thing is you learned, so it doesn't appear your insane, because we all know the definition of insane. It is funny how those early batches freak us out though. Now you just need to remember them moving forward and plan for some in advance, like temperature control.

Yeah - I'd encourage you to copy and paste those notes into a Word file to keep a journal of your brew sessions. Experience is the best educator, but after a few brew days it's easy to forget all the things you learn along the way. It's always a good idea to go back to your notes to see if you've experienced X along the way before. My single-spaced Word file is now 21 pages long and over 80 batches are recorded. I try to jot down as much as I can about each batch (recipe - extract or all-grain, brew day, OG, yeast type used, when/if I racked, amount of sugar used at priming, airlock activity, etc.).

congrats. You may find, like the many of us, that each time you brew you will gain more confidence only to be undermined by discovery of some additional aspect over which to stress.

from your post, it appears in your first batch you get it - the balance between stressing over details to make good beer while never forgetting to relax and enjoy the process (and final product!)

brew on!

The good thing is that you researched enough before you started that you didn't make any big mistakes. Your beer should be pretty good.

Now obsess over keeping your pipeline full. Get another one going ASAP. Use what you have learned to make a good beer better. And have FUN!

good post as i just bottled my first batch last night. I am with you on many items listed.

Congrats. My first brew is still in the fermenter so I hear you on a lot of this.

I had a couple panicky moments myself due to fun with a strainer, foam, and a blow off top!

Agree on the practice. I'm actually looking forward to the bottling phase of my first brew and I just spent some time practicing the siphoning and also filled a couple of bottles up with water. Want to get that down.

Just wait until you see the list for your second brew! With every brew, I learn something. I could argue that every home brewer learns something with every brew, whether a total beginner, a basic novice (like me, with about 16 brews done), or a seasoned expert. I've done about a dozen extract brews (with two AG sprinkled in there), and today I'm brewing my 5th BIAB (dunkelweizen). I have had at least one "ah-ha" moment with each brew. That's how we eventually get good at this.

Welcome!

Back