First Batch > Lessons Learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJtarheel

Reaction score
Just finished bottling my first batch, American pale Ale. Here are a few tips that were given to me from the forum faithful. Thanks to all!!!

1 - A couple of weeks before bottling, I cleaned and de-labelled my bottles in Beer Brite. The morning of bottling I rinsed them in Idofor and then put them in the diswasher on hi -heat (no detergent). Worked great.

2 - I dry hopped with pellets in a weighted bag. "Wyzazz", told me to use sanitized marbles to weigh the bag down. I used 5 marbles. Great idea!

3 - Someone gave me the idea of bottling on the open door of my dishwasher. Another great idea! Didn't have to clean spillage.... I removed the bottom rack of the dishwasher with my clean bottles and placed the rack beside me. Great way to store the bottles prior to bottling.

4 - I crushed a 22 oz bottle with my capper. I realized that you don't need to use so much force. (Why the hell couldn't it have happened to a 12 oz bottle???)

5 - READ THE DIRECTIONS STUPID!!!. After I got down cleaning up after bottling, I thought it would have been a great idea to start my next batch. After all, everything was cleaned and sanitized. Unfortunately, the yeast I bought with my kit (Chinook IPA from Northern Brewers) had to be started a few days in advance....I was actually depressed for a few hours...lost opportuity!

Again, thanks to all that helped me along. I will raise my glass in a couple of weeks!!!!!

Back