First batch kegging advice. Bavarian Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunklesWeissbier

Reaction score
So I have my first batch (Bavarian Wheat kit from MW) in my secondary and am wondering if I should keg or not?

I had a few two many brew day beers while brewing and forgot to take a OG reading. :drunk: sorry.

It was in the primary for 7 days and activity had prety much stopped with A FG of 1.011. Which is what the instructions say it should be.

I racked it into the secondary and saw a little airlock activity the next day, but it has also stopped and after 5 days it is doing nothing.

My question is do you think I should keg it and let it carb for a week or two? Or should I leave it another week in the secondary to let it clear?

I had a few two many brew day beers while brewing and forgot to take a OG reading. :drunk: sorry.

If it's an extract recipe, taking an OG reading isn't quite so critical. Assuming you put all your fermentables into the intended amount of water, your OG shouldn't vary by much.

It was in the primary for 7 days and activity had prety much stopped with A FG of 1.011. Which is what the instructions say it should be.

I racked it into the secondary and saw a little airlock activity the next day, but it has also stopped and after 5 days it is doing nothing.

My question is do you think I should keg it and let it carb for a week or two? Or should I leave it another week in the secondary to let it clear?

Hefeweizens don't really need to clear, so you're probably done if you've hit your target FG. I would leave it a couple more days and take another gravity reading. If it hasn't changed, you're good to keg it.

My usual procedure for hefeweizen is 2 weeks in the primary (unless the FG hasn't been reached) then straight to bottles. It's a fast beer.

If it's an extract recipe, taking an OG reading isn't quite so critical. Assuming you put all your fermentables into the intended amount of water, your OG shouldn't vary by much.

Hefeweizens don't really need to clear, so you're probably done if you've hit your target FG. I would leave it a couple more days and take another gravity reading. If it hasn't changed, you're good to keg it.

My usual procedure for hefeweizen is 2 weeks in the primary (unless the FG hasn't been reached) then straight to bottles. It's a fast beer.

Thanks.
I was thinking of checking the FG again this weekend and if it is the same then I will keg it. Just wasn't sure if leaving it another week was necessary.

keg it. crank the psi up to 30 for a day or so, then turn to serving pressure. That'll help speed up the carbing process. If you really want to speed it up, shake it a few times while at 30 psi.

Back