First Batch....just a bit paranoid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wind River

Reaction score
Going into the 2nd week of the secondary ferm on my first batch of homebrew, the Brewer's Best IPA kit. I hit my OG and FG right on (5%ABV as expected).

Of course, this was after using a whole packet of One Step on everything. I was a "bit" obsessed with sanitizing.

1st ferm was mostly finished at about 3 days and I racked into secondary at 8 days.

Now for the "paranoid" questions...

1) After I took my hydrometer reading before racking, I drank the sample. Stupid question...but...is the taste of the sample going to be similiar to the taste of the beer after aging in the bottle? The sample actually tasted good (although nowhere near as hoppy as my favorite brewpub's IPA) so I was pleased on that front.

2) Everytime I go into the room I have the carboy in, there is a fruity aroma...smells great...but...is it supposed to?? (at least it's not a funky odor...)

As I said, I've been a bit paranoid but, as the lady at my LHBS told me (when I went to buy one more packet of One Step), It's just like a first time mother...you're super careful about EVERYTHING! Then with your next child, you're just tossing it in the crib and the phrase "good enough" comes into play. I'm going to try and take that to heart and RDWHAHB LOL!

Mike

Yea we are all like that with our fist beer - some of us stay really careful with everything. Im not really one of them im a 'good enough guy' lol

Your beer sounds good though - sounds like everything is right and you used good sanitizations steps.

1. In my limited experience samples taken for hydrometer readings are nothing more than a hint of the finished product. Carbonation and conditioning do wonderous things to the flavor of a beer.

2. I think I know exactly what aroma you're referring to. I brewed my first IPA just recently and the aroma was far far far more intense than the ESP or the lager I had previously made. Enjoy it while you can. Mine didn't stay that intense after a few days. My wife and I both now miss the fragrence.

1) After I took my hydrometer reading before racking, I drank the sample. Stupid question...but...is the taste of the sample going to be similiar to the taste of the beer after aging in the bottle? The sample actually tasted good (although nowhere near as hoppy as my favorite brewpub's IPA) so I was pleased on that front.

For the most part, yes. That's about how your finished beer is going to taste. Of course carbonation, dry hopping, etc will change it but that's roughly what it will taste like in a few weeks when you open your first bottle.

2) Everytime I go into the room I have the carboy in, there is a fruity aroma...smells great...but...is it supposed to?? (at least it's not a funky odor...)

As long as the smell isn't funky, then you're fine.

Keep in mind that One Step isn't rated as a sanitizer. It is a cleanser. I would recommend getting a bottle of StarSan and keeping a mixed bucket of it around for those sanitation emergencies.

Actually, going to the LHBS for some Star San in a couple of days. Getting ready for my next brew...a Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier clone..."Man's reach should exceed his grasp"...:mug:

Back