First batch in secondary, and I am flippin' proud of myself

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pktshc

Reaction score
Greetings from Ohio-

As every first time poster does, I have to thank you all in advance for all the knowledge I have gleaned from just reading your posts over the last few weeks. It is nice that you can ask any question, no matter how basic, and get great responses from those with a ton of experience.

Now that the kissing-up is over, I do have a question. Talk to me about starting the yeast. I have two LHBS in my area and they have differing opinions on the issue. One says that you MUST start the yeast the day before and the other says that it is not necessary.

Thoughts?

By the way, I can already tell that I am hooked. I purchased an additional carboy today so that I can work on more than one batch at a time. Interestingly enough, my wife is quite supportive of this new adventure...except she making me set up somewhere other than our dining room. Something about yeast reacting with furniture polish and that it looks like a meth lab from the street.

Oh yeah, I sampled a small amount of my batch after I got it in the secondary. It tastes like BEER! I am so happy and proud. Probably more excited than my first (only) eagle on the golf course.

Anyway, thanks again for all your input and I look forward to what people think about starting the yeast.

Jeff

Welcome to the addiction.

You really should make a starter for any liquid yeast. It is not necessary for dry yeast. A starter will improve the taste and quality of your beer, as most liquid yeasts come with about half the active yeast cells needed for the average 5-gal batch. That being said, you don't HAVE to make one. I have made many good beers without a starter.

As long as the wife is on board and your hooked go ahead and make a starter. All the instructions for a basic starter are here in the Wiki. I would shake the bottle every so often when it is fermenting to keep the yeast in suspension longer. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Yeast_Starters

The 11 gram packs of dry yeast are nice and work well. No starter needed for them. Keep at it, making beer is fun.

I too just put a batch in a secondary. This is my 3rd batch and this is the first time i have used a secondary. I was a little nervous about contamination but i sanitized everything and I think it will be fine. I am a little concerned because when i was racking it for like a split second i raised the end of the hose out of the beer a little. I hope that won't cause any problems. I hope this secondary process really improves my clarity. I hope yours goes well. I will let you know how mine comes out.

Back