First batch in Fermentation now!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goon

Reaction score
Hello All

Just wanted to Proclaim that my first batch of BEER has been brewed and now cozily fermenting! I made a simple Pale Ale.

4lbs of Ironmaster Imperial Pale
2lbs of Coopers Plain Light DME
1oz Kent Goldings Hops
1 packet of Wyeast Liquid #1098 British Ale Yeast

Some notes I took while brewing:

1. 2 gallons water to vigorous boil.
2. Added Malt Extracts and boiled vigorously while stirring for 30 minutes.
3. Added hops in a moslin bag and irish moss, boiled for 8 more minutes.
4. Added three gallons water and poured back and forth between the brew pot and fermenting bucket 3 times to aerate and mix in the fresh water.
5. Set outside to cool of to yeast pitch temperatures.
6. 2 hours later wort was at 77 degrees and took my SG (1.051 a little hight than than expected) and then pitched the yeast.
7. Let sit for 10 minutes and then mixed and aerated gently one last time.
8. Fermenting in closet up stairs!

I can't wait!

Should turn out as a nice brew, if you can wait to let it age! I couldn't with my first batch. I let it age 1 week and it was OK, but got much better.

Beautifully done.

Now go get the ingredients (and equipment if necessary) to get another batch going.

Nothing makes letting your beer mature and mellow like diverting your attention to your next batch.

Congratulations.

+1 on the above advice. The first batch is one you can't wait to drink. It's better to have something to keep your mind off drinking the first batch.

Good luck with your brewing.

In a week or so I will siphon this batch into my carboy and get going on an amber ale. So i will have something to keep me a little busy while I wait for my first batch to be ready.

My first batch was a Pale Ale. Couldn't wait to taste it.

Now is the time to be planning your next batch, because after you open your first bottle you will want to share it with all your friends and before you know it will be gone.
And that's a sad feeling.

Happy brewing..

Side Note::off:
Trading beer is rewarding. I’ve traded beer for…. 3 half barrels, 4 cornies, 1 20# CO2 tank w/ regulator, hundreds of empty bottles, 2 coolers (1 for kegs and 1 for fermenting my beer).
If only I could make my living with my homebrew.

We have bubbles! Bubbles started in the air lock approximately 18-20 hours after I sealed it up! Woot!

Goon said:
In a week or so I will siphon this batch into my carboy and get going on an amber ale. So i will have something to keep me a little busy while I wait for my first batch to be ready.

Prediciton? OK.

Within a week you will be checking Craigs list and e-bay searching for more primary fermentors.

You are caught. It is over. Have a beer and suffer with the rest of us.

Yes I am caught, hook line and sinker. I was already talking with my buddy about next weekends brewing already. This is going to be a great year!

Yea, i know your feeling. My first batch appears to becoming along nicely. I am so impressed with myself that i was wanting to hit up the LHBS and get another primary fermenter and some ingredients. BUT, i checked thier site and they are closed on mondays, and even more so it being New Years eve. Hopefully they are open New Years day!

Goon said:
Hello All

Just wanted to Proclaim that my first batch of BEER has been brewed and now cozily fermenting! I made a simple Pale Ale.

4lbs of Ironmaster Imperial Pale
2lbs of Coopers Plain Light DME
1oz Kent Goldings Hops
1 packet of Wyeast Liquid #1098 British Ale Yeast

Some notes I took while brewing:

1. 2 gallons water to vigorous boil.
2. Added Malt Extracts and boiled vigorously while stirring for 30 minutes.
3. Added hops in a moslin bag and irish moss, boiled for 8 more minutes.
4. Added three gallons water and poured back and forth between the brew pot and fermenting bucket 3 times to aerate and mix in the fresh water.
5. Set outside to cool of to yeast pitch temperatures.
6. 2 hours later wort was at 77 degrees and took my SG (1.051 a little hight than than expected) and then pitched the yeast.
7. Let sit for 10 minutes and then mixed and aerated gently one last time.
8. Fermenting in closet up stairs!

I can't wait!

congrats!:mug: I got so pumped up from my first brew (fermenting in a mr beer right now) that I bought a real brew kit with a glass carboy and ingredients for a Bass Ale clone:ban: it is too easy to get addicted to this...

Well I tried my first beer this morning and it was fantastic IMHO. It could of used a little more bubbles but the taste and flavor was spot on. I am looking forard to knocking a few of these back during the superbowl!

Back