first batch in a 15gallon conical w/ no bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dblott1

Reaction score
i just bought a 15 gal minibrew conical of craigslist. i wanted to try something simple, so i made a 10 gal recipe of english bitter. i has set there for 2 1/2 day without a single bubble coming out the blowtube. my original gravity was 1.050 @ around 100f and today it was 1.020 at 65f. there appears to be krauzen at the top. the lid is sealed on the conical because when i push down slightly on the lid i can see the water level change and then return to normal after i let off. is the 'no bubbling' a problem? or since there is 5 gallons of air space i shouldnt expect bubbling? thx

samc

Reaction score
You might have a leak or the head space is too big for much action. When I used a 16+ gallon inductor tank for 10 gallon batches I never once saw a bubble, but the beer always fermented out fine.

In my current soda tank 15 gallon fermenter I get a little airlock action but not much.

Relax it's working.

OP
dblott1

dblott1

Reaction score
thx, i was worried with it being my first batch in the 15gal. so its just too much head space then? should i have filled the extra space with co2 right after i brewed it? or will it produce enough on its own?

Reaction score
There is no benefit to bubbles. You are fine. The head space is fine. Don't put co2 into your fermenters. Your yeast need oxygen!

OP
dblott1

dblott1

Reaction score
awesome! thx for the quick reply. so all i need to do is check the specific gravity to know when it done right?

johnpreuss

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm not that experienced but I say next time brew 12-13 gallons and you'll have lots of action. Heck make it a hefe!!!:ban:

lol j/k I had the same thing happend the first time I used my 8 gallon bucket on a 5 gallon batch. I was like WTF?!?! where are the bubbles? But it turned out fine.