First batch- Imperial/US gallon mix up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternBrew

Reaction score
My first batch is fermenting, everything looks good. I noticed the label of the malt extract can in the trash says 5 gallons/6 US gallons. I followed the directions using US gallons. Does anyone know what problems this might cause, aside from a possibly thick beer.

I will be racking in a few days. Should I just add another gallon of room temp spring water when I do that?
Thanks for your help.

5 imperial gallons = 6 US gallons. If the kit was made for that amount and you used 6 US gallons then you should be fine. (I think that is what you mean)

If you used 5 US gallons then you will have some more intense beer. If you used 6 imperial gallons then you'll just have some watered down beer.

Do not add any water straight to the fermented wort!

Water has a lot of dissolved oxygen in it, and while this is good at the start of fermentation, it is bad at the end.

If you want to get to the correct volume, you should boil the water first to removed dissolved oxygen, cool and then add.

I'm assuming you made 5 US gallons. The result will be that it is 17% stronger (OG is 17% higher), end up 17% sweeter (higher FG). Bitterness, hop flavor and aroma will also be up.

I would recommend you do nothing. the more you touch it, the more chance you have of screwing it up.

Sorry that was a bit confusing. I have a 5 US gallon batch from a 6 US gallon kit now, so it'll be intense.

Thanks for your help

Back