Mead. newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penrose7

Reaction score
Help please. I am new to home brewing and started my first brew of mead on Saturday. It was all going fine till today (Tuesday) when I came home from work I noticed my brew was going mad!! I topped the brew with water on Monday as per the instruction to 1 inch below the neck of my demijohn and replaced the trap. Now a day later the brew started foaming and started coming up into the trap. Is it safe to remove the trap and pour out a little letting air back in or should I just leave it and mop up what comes out.

Mike

The other option is to rig up a blow off tube. I just had to make one of these in a hurry last week when my Christmas Ale was geysering out of my ferm lock.
The idea is that the tube allows more CO2 to escape faster and into a jar or bottle with some sanitizer solution in it. This helps keep your carboy clean and your likelihood of contamination down.

Blow Off Tube.jpg

I would remove the airlock and replace it with a piece of aluminum foil, wrapped loosely around the demijohn's neck and opening. Let any krausen come out of the demijohn and maybe put it on top of towel, to make it easier to clean up. When fermentation has quieted down, when the krausen isn't coming out any more, put the airlock back on (after sanitizing it).

Back