first batch help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deejay

Reaction score
hey im just about to start on my first batch and i just want to make sure i know how everything works. im using a plastic fermentor for my primary fermentation. its one of the buckets. the guy at the homebrew store said i dont need a blowoff tube, just put the air lock into the hole in the lid. i was just confirming that. and also my father threw away the instructions that came with the syphon. There are three pieces. A regular syphon tube, a hard plastic tube with a 90 degree angle and a rubber piece that im guessin is a type of filter, and another hard plastic piece with some sort of valve on the end. I wasn't sure how to use these pieces. I figure i can just use the regular hose but i guess the other pieces have some sort of purpose. Thanks for any help.

danny

i was looking at it and the 2nd hard plastic piece looks like it might be a sort of air lock for the fermenting bucket

Welcome to the forum.

An airlock in the bucket lid is fine. You may want to practice fitting the airlock before the brew so you don't accidentally push the grommet into the brew..

The hard plastic piece should fit over the straight end of the rigid tube. It stops you from syphoning solid material from the bottom of the vessel. The flexible tube fits on the 90 degree end of the rigid tube, and directs the liquid into the receiving vessel.

-a.

youll need to partially fill your tubing with sanitized water to get the siphon started (vaccuum). just a head's up, let the sanitized water flow into an extra cup or bowl or whatnot until the beer starts flowing, then by all means let it do its thing.
i accidentally poured a few ounces of that sanitized water into my beer when transferring to my secondary this past weekend. shame on me.

Wheat King said:
youll need to partially fill your tubing with sanitized water to get the siphon started (vaccuum). just a head's up, let the sanitized water flow into an extra cup or bowl or whatnot until the beer starts flowing, then by all means let it do its thing.
i accidentally poured a few ounces of that sanitized water into my beer when transferring to my secondary this past weekend. shame on me.
I've seen it posted several times around here, but I'll post again because it's just so darn usefull. I recommend getting the Auto Siphon. After brewing my fourth brew at home with it, and doing a hand full of others at friends without it, it makes life a lot easier!

Back