First batch going to the keg...need force carbination help....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paraops

Reaction score
Hi guys. I appearently had success, thus far, with my first batch, 10 gal all-grain, wheat (Boulevard Wheat Clone).

This Saturday will be 2 weeks in primary and I'm planning to go straight to the keg since secondary won't likely clear a beer that is hazy by nature.

My biggest fear is that I don't give the beer enough time to mature. What would you guys suggest I do as far as force carbing pressures and how long would you leave the beer kegged before you drink it? Thanks a lot guys!

I would just keg it and leave it at room temp for another week, then put it in the fridge. Once it is cold hook up the gas at serving pressure and wait 7 - 10 days and enjoy!

Generally a wheat beer can be enjoyed early and is usually best young.

Welcome to the kegging club!

get it cold and put it on 12 or so psi for a week - you will be good to go

+1 dont do the popular carb it high for 1 day and roll it around.. just set it and forget it at 10 - 12 psi.

The ol' set and forget method takes about 2 weeks to reach equilibrium pressure so that's about where you'll want to start drinking. Resist all temptation to attach the beer out disconnect or you'll sample half the keg away before it peaks.

The ol' set and forget method takes about 2 weeks to reach equilibrium pressure

+1 on the 2 full weeks. Plus, you need to make sure it is mature enough to consume, to really appreciate the full appreciation of your efforts.;)

What if you have only 5 days before you want to drink it?? Can you turn the PSI up a bit to say 15 and let it sit for a little less time? My beer has been sitting in the primary for 3 weeks and then the keg for a week.
Thanks in advance..

one week at 12 will have about 3/4ths or more carbonation to it. Set it and forget it.

Some will recommend using a high pressure for a day or so. This is not an exact science but some people do it every time. I do not bother with this.

Find out the temp in the kegerator and use a Carbonation Chart to determine the correct pressure.

Despite what you may hear it is really had to over-carbonate unless you up the pressure. So feel free to rock or shake the keg while it is carbonating. The more head space in the keg the more shaking will help. And because it is a wheat beer you probably do not want the yeast to settle much.

I bottle about 2 gallons of each 5 gallon batch. So there is only 3 gallons in my 5 gallon corny. If I shake it 4 times a day I can get it to the point of drinkable (pretty close to full carbonation) in about 36 hours. And that is while keeping it at its normal pressure.

I did the shaking thing on my witbier one time and I think I over carbed. Now i let it sit. However if I absolutely must have it rushed, then 48 hours on 30 psi in keezer. Then back to 12 psi. No shaking. Its usually fine on day 4.

Thanks guys! So it shall be.

I may have to join a "Leave it alone and don't drink it for two more weeks" support group though. It's drivin me nuts!

EDIT:

...after tossing it around....I'll try the high pressure/shake method with one and the set and forget method with the other since I have 10gal split between two cornys. I'll be able to compare the same batch using both methods.

another question: How does one decide the correct carb level to use for a particular beer type when using the carb chart madewithchicken suggested using? What would you guys shoot for with a wheat?

The only way you'll overcarb is if you use elevated pressures. If you stick to the chart based on the temp of the beer, you can shake it all you like and it will absorb quicker without overcarbing. After you keg a few batches, you start to learn how high you can run the pressure in the first few days without overdoing it.

If I have some well aged beer that is just going into the keg, I'll put 30psi on it and slosh the keg around like crazy for a good 10 minutes or until I can't hear any more gas flowing in. I disconnect the gas overnight, then purge the pressure and set the reg back down to the chart pressure. It's drinkable right away, but hits equilibrium in a few more days (vs. 2 weeks at chart pressure without the shaking)

I also like to rack some of the beer into a 2 liter bottle and use a Carbonator cap if I want to get some beer quick carbed while the rest is slowly going. I can quick carb a 2 liter and drink it that night.

Back