First batch - first taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepySamSlim

Reaction score
So our first batch of extract based Alaskan Amber Ale hit 2 weeks in the bottle today so we cracked one to see how it was.

Color - nice medium amber
Clarity - we used a few Corona bottles -- nice and clear
sediment on the bottom of the bottle

Carbonation seems about right - looks beautiful in a glass
Smells like beer :ban:

Now my taster is pretty screwed up (chronic sinus issues) so over all the taste was ok -- my only issue is the ale seems overly sharp taste mid-mouth.

My wifes more sensitive palate picked up a sweetness on the first sip and she also found it a bit sharp. The sweetness was not unpleasant - just not desired - and after the first sip she could no longer detect it.

At just 2 weeks in the bottle its probably still pretty green ---- will the ale smooth out over time ? Any ideas on the sweetness ?

We're glad out first shot seems drinkable and will hopefully get better over time. Our second batch is in the primary as of tonite.

It will improve. After two or three weeks the flavors will mellow and balance out a bit. Sounds like a successful brew overall. Congrats! :mug:

Back