First Batch Ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talloak

Reaction score
Yesterday I put my first batch of beer ever into the primary. OG was 1.043, which was dead on for my Brewers Best brand American Amber. Feeling pretty good about my sanitizing practices. Kept my bottling bucket full of some LD Carlson brand one step stuff (no rinse) that came with the kit to clean stuff as necessary.

This morning (14 hours in) I was getting one big bubble every 60 seconds. Temp is around 68 degrees.

Already thinking about buying more capacity! I think I am hooked.

One question though; when it was time to stop boiling, the churning action left loads of what looked like hops on the wall of the kettle above the water line. I disposed of this green gunk, and didn't put it into the primary.

Was this the right thing to do?

One question though; when it was time to stop boiling, the churning action left loads of what looked like hops on the wall of the kettle above the water line. I disposed of this green gunk, and didn't put it into the primary.

Was this the right thing to do?
One way of doing it. I wrap my auto-siphon with a hops bag (I hate using hops bags for hops) and it filters that stuff out. I like getting rid of the big sediment before it goes into the primary rather than when I bottle or move to a secondary.

I was able to scrape it off with my spoon and flick it into the sink. Just so it didn't belong in the beer, which apparently it didn't.

Back