First batch ever, now in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrouStang96

Reaction score
Got my equipment yesterday, brewed tonight over the course of 6 hours (lol, yikes).

It was fun, and only possible thanks to this forum. Hopefully I'll see some bubbling tomorrow. It's a wheat/hefe, and I'll let you know in a couple months if it's any good :p

Here are the notes --
Wheat/Hefe from LHBS
6lb Wheat DME (Crosby & Baker; Muntons Wheat)
1.5oz Tettnanger hops 60min (Sub for Hallertaur)
0.5oz Tettnanger hops 1min (Sub for Hallertaur)
Safbrew WB-06 (11.5g packet) pitched at 71dF

3 gallons boiling wort in cold water bath in sink

40min from boiling to 150dF
40min from 150dF to 100dF

-then-

2gal 38dF water addition

instant from 100dF to 70dF

-then-

Pitched yeast, and it sits at 71.5dF currently.

----------------------------------

Hopefully all turns out well! Next time I'll have a smaller boil and larger cool water so that I can have a quicker chill, because I am not satisfied with the 90min of cooling to pitching temps.

Looking forward to seeing 1) bubbling in the airlock/yeast activity, and later on 2) if I kept everything as sanitary as possible or if it tastes like swampwater.

-------------------------------------

Thanks for all the help and the wonderful forum, guys - today was fun, and I've done a lot of reading (95% from this forum) to get to this point.

Congrats!

That sounds almost exactly like my first brewing experience. From beginning to end was about 6 hours. I made a hefeweisen too. Turned out great. My advice is to either not use a secondary or do 1 week in primary, and then a couple days in the seconday. You don't want it to clear too much. It's mit hefe after all.

Relax though. You'll become much more efficient. I can setup, brew, and clean in less than 2 hours now.

Feasibly, you could be drinking your beer in a month. I brew a similar Hefe and it's ready to drink one month after brew date.

Awesome! I just woke up, it's only 10 hours after I set the carboy aside, and I've got bubbling action and a tiny bit of krausen.

Yeah!

I'd skip the secondary completely. give it 3 weeks in primary, then bottle.

I'm actually going to try to clear it for the hell of it. I'll go ahead and call it a Krystalweizen.

Might try a bit of gelatin.

Crash cool it. I just started doing this since it has gotten cold out and it's amazing how well it works. Actually, I did it with my Hefe and it crystal clear.

I don't know how I'll crash cool it without an extra fridge. I figure I'll rack to secondary and let it sit for a bit, and then try crash cooling it outside for a few days if it's cold enough?

I just leave my secondary in the garage when I'm ready to cool it. When it's cold out the temp averages around 48*F.

Back